Chapter 5 - Sinners and Saints

The next morning, I woke up to find that I was alone. Hayley must have gone downstairs to have breakfast and because of the humid New Orleans weather, I decided to get out of bed and be productive.

I got dressed, descended the stairs and made my way to the kitchen. As I entered, Hayley turned around and saw me, surprised.

"Hey, I was just gonna bring you some breakfast," she said.

I shook my head. "Don't bother, I'll just have coffee."

"Oh, here," she handed me her cup.

"Oh no, that's yours.," I declined. "I can make my own."

I grabbed a cup and filled it with coffee, the vapors filled my nostrils and I sighed, contently.

"So, how are you feeling?" Hayley asked.

"I'm okay," I told her, honestly.

I took a sip of my drink and walked into living room, where I found Klaus and Rebekah talking to Sophie. No doubt Klaus brought her here to question her about the witches that attacked me last night.

"You can't go out there now," Sophie told Klaus. "I need to gather the witches' remains and consecrate them. If I don't get to them before sun down, we lose the link to their magic."

"Those witches tried to kill Nina," Klaus said, pointing to me. "I'd prefer for Marcel's informant not to find anything that would lead him back to us, to her or, you know, that."

I gave Klaus a sarcastic smile. "You are all class."

"Stay put and save the rest of your story until I return," Klaus told Sophie before he left to accompany Marcel.

~*~*~ 

Despite what Klaus said, Sophie left the house and went to Lafayette cemetery, Hayley and I followed her. She put some sort of potion in her bag and when she turned around, she was obviously surprised to see us.

"Hey. What the hell?"

"You're going out there anyway, aren't you?" Hayley asked. "We wanna go with you."

"No, thanks. Already got assaulted by Klaus this morning, don't need a repeat."

She tried to leave but I blocked her path. "What if whatever is responsible for all those dead witches is still out there. We've already established that it likes me and hates witches, so you're be safer with me."

"Sorry if I'm not buying your sudden concern for my safety," Sophie said, trying to leave again.

I blocked her path again, getting angry. "Listen, the only reason we came to this stupid town in the first place was to learn more about our families. Your sister was the one that told us that Marcel ran the werewolves out of the Quarter into the Bayou.and last night, I'm pretty sure some guardian angel wolf saved my life. Besides, I have a brother out there somewhere, so I'm coming with you."