XXI ; waiting for the truth to call.

« hemmings »

Calum pointed to the doorway before walking off signaling for us to follow him, Ashton brushed past me making sure to shoulder check me -- hard -- and I scurried behind them not wanting to get lost in their house.

He led us to the living room and sat on the loveseat as Ashton sat beside him, more like on him, leaving me to sit alone on the recliner. We sat in silence as neither of them dared to make eye contact with me. "C'mon guys please explain this?"

they looked at each other seeming to have a silent conversation with one another before Ashton turned to me and sighed. "Okay so you know how you pissed me off so I ran off?" I nodded as he looked down at his feet. "That's the day I went to Michael's house, but it wasn't a house. His parents left and allowed it to get torn down the day of incident so they wouldn't be reminded of the accident."

"I was pissed off after I figured out what happened with his parents, how they treated him, and then the way you treated him, and I couldn't handle it so I ran to Michael's house again before I went home."

"My parents tried to comfort me, until they realized I was crying over Michael and they got pissed. They told me how the boy deserved to be beat, how he was no good because he was locked away for so long, then proceeded to tell me his death was a fucking blessing?"

"So I left, I packed a few bags and came to Calum's because he's the only person who I knew would take me in." He concluded finally looking me in the eye with this gleam of emotion I just couldn't identify.

"So you're telling me I dissed a dead boy and didn't tell me?"

"First of all you're telling me you would still talk shit about him if he were alive and that's seriously horrible, like what if he hadn't died because of his parents. What if he committed suicide because of you? How would you feel then?" Ashton shrieked as I realized just how bad I was hurting even him.

"He promised me wouldn't, and if he did, I-I don't know what I would feel."

"People break promises, you broke yours." Calum piped in.

"What promise did I ever make that I've broken?"

"One specifically, "I promise I'll love you forever, I'm here to protect you" how about that one Luke?" Ashton mocked me with a high-pitched voice before sneering at me, as if I'd ever say that to him.

"I never promised either of you that." I scoffed.

"Michael, you promised Michael." Calum whispered.

"He's dead now, it doesn't matter."

Ashton jumped out of his seat and practically pounced on me, his eyes were burning with rage and I realized I'd fucked up -- once again a little too late. He loomed over top of me with a tight grip on my wrists, "shut up you prick, you don't have the right to talk about him like that, I don't give a shit if he's dead or not, you're a disgusting pig who thinks he's all high and mighty. Well listen here Luke, I won't handle your shit, sure Michael could handle a few punches or go cry about it, but I won't. I'll fight back, so you better get a fucking life or get the hell out of mine."

"You're the assholes that invited me here." I spat pushing him off of me so I could stand up.

"We had something to show you, but I don't think you need it anymore." Calum sighed pulling Ashton down into his lap and hugging him tightly.

"And that would be?"

"It was something that could've given you closure, I've noticed how you've basically blamed yourself for this and We wanted to show you that Michael is--" Calum began but was cut off by a repeated ding from the other room as Ashton scrambled off of Calum and ran to the other room, almost falling on his face courteously of his socks.

We sat in silence as we heard Ashton's phone continue to go off, repeatedly for a few minutes -- somebody's needy. Our silence was torn when Ashton begun yelling, like full out rage even though the undertone sounded caring, loving, and concerned.

"Where the hell are you?"

"Why are you crying?"

"What the fuck are you doing?"

"Stop."

"No."

"You said it was okay."

"Calm down."

"It's only been ten minutes!"

"I shouldn't have left you alone."

"What are you doing?"

"Seriously where the hell are you?"

"What the fuck was that?"

"Don't you fucking do it."

"NO."

"Please." And he was no longer screaming, instead it was silent, when the next thing we know is hearing smash which I assumed was his phone, followed by a heart-breaking sob.