Chapter 7: Set Sail

(Aramis)

Aramis had seen June and Eden the moment they had walked into the boat. He held back, not wanting to greet her brothers. He was hoping to be more inconspicuous tonight.

Eden stepped away from June and her eyes landed on Aramis, but only for a split second. He begrudgingly admitted, she looked beautiful. Even from so far away. She made her way across the deck, with someone following her.

Aramis shook his head. What was he doing? He was supposed to be investigating. Trying to consider what Nolan would be doing, he moved from the crowd and to higher ground. The top of the boat had only a few people. He could see everyone from here.

"I heard you were beat up," a voice said from beside him. Aramis turned quickly to see June's younger brother, Deitri. Deitri was the calmest of his brothers and the only one Aramis had ever gotten along with.

Aramis nodded, "News spreads fast."

Deitri rested against the railing. "Do you think it's my father?"

"No, but June wants to make sure I thoroughly check it off the list," Aramis admitted. It was no good to lie to Deitri. He was a human lie detector.

Deitri smiled, "She always has our back. If only our father could see that." They stayed silent for a moment, but Deitri scowled when he looked down at the deck. "Why does my father invite people like Theo onto our boat."

Aramis followed Deitri's rage. Theo had been the person to branch off from June to follow Eden. Deitri continued, "I feel bad for that young lady."

"My money is on her. She won't let someone like Theo push her around," Aramis said as he tightened his grip on the railing and watched.

Theo had some how cornered Eden and was offering her a drink. She seemed to be refusing and he seemed to not be good at saying no. "You don't know Theo like we do. He roofied June. And no one stops his aggressiveness. He's the prince of the Feathered Flames."

Eden pushed the glass out of Theo's hand and it clattered took the ground. Only a few people cared to turn. June was one of them. Even from up there, Aramis could see her face go pale. "We have to go help her."

Before Deitri could say anything else, Aramis was pushing people out of the way to get down the stairs. The boat rocked in the choppy waves and he held onto the side. He was close enough to hear them talking. "Feisty. I like it. June used to be that way until I broke her. Do you think you can last as long as her?" Theo drawled.

"You are disgusting. Take another step near me, and I'll throw you overboard," Eden spat at him.

Aramis watched Theo tilt his head back and laugh. "You'd throw a prince overboard and ruin a peace treaty? What happens when your dynasty falls apart?" This seemed to freeze Eden up. Aramis was confused. Theo had it wrong. Eden wasn't apart of a dynasty. And yet, she was frozen.

Theo took a step closer, putting his hand in her back and pulling her closer. He leaned in and whispered something into her ear. Aramis could see the fear in Eden's eyes.

"Screw your peace treaties," Aramis said as he brought his arm back and threw a punch. His fist connected with Theo's jaw and Theo stumbled back, letting go of Eden.

Eden was still, staring up at Aramis in utter confusion. Theo brought his hand to his jaw, "Who the hell do you think you are?" He asked.

"Aramis Havenash," Aramis answered, feeling the rage course through him.

Theo paused, "I haven't seen you since you decided the rest of the world wasn't good enough for you. Are you still on the search for mommy?"

Aramis went to throw himself on Theo when someone intervened. Eden had her hand on his chest.  She picked up a piece of glass from the shattered cup. Her grip was tight enough for blood to trickle down her palm. "You dropped this, Theo." She shoved it in his hand, making sure to wipe her blood on him.

"I'm not finished with you-"

June stepped forward with Deitri at her side. "Yes you are. These two are honored guests. You are here every night."

Theo looked between them all and finally decided he would lose this fight. He pushed past Eden, slamming his shoulder into her so that she stumbled. Aramis caught her and righted her. He looked down at her bloody hand. "Are you alright?"

Eden looked up at him, her blue eyes taking in his whole face. Aramis held his breath and tried to ignore the blush rising up his neck. "Why'd you come over here?"

"I-" Aramis didn't answer.

She looked truly sad, "Stop being such a gentleman." And as if that explained everything, she took a step away.

Aramis grabbed her arm, "What do you mean?"

Eden threw her good hand up, "Do you feel bad for knocking me unconscious at the train station?"

"Yes," Aramis said before thinking.

She shoved his chest, "You shouldn't! I lead you to be tortured. What happened to hating me? The moment I'm a damsel in distress, you go soft?" He blinked, opened his mouth, and then closed it. Why was she so angry?

"Is this your shitty way of saying thank you?" He asked.

Eden clenched her jaw, "Have fun at the party." She walked away, following after June who was making her way to her father. Aramis watched them go, completely befuddled.

"You look like you could use a drink," Deitri said. He passed a drink over to Aramis and he took it. It burned down his throat, in a good way.

He took the drink out of Deitri's hand and downed that one too, "I could use a few drinks." He looked over at his friend, "This is all very exhausting. I wish my brother was here." Because Cairo was diplomatic. He would have been able to save Eden without potentially waging war on a gang. He'd been able to talk to everyone and learn everything.

Aramis took another drink off of the platter.