Chapter 24: jobs

(Eden)

Venelope layed out on the ground, scribbling her crayon against paper. Eden watched her from the window she was at. Ever since Venelope had been brought to the Crimson building, Eden had been paranoid. She paced from the window to the door, placing her ear on the door and listening to the hallway.

A knock sounded on the door. Eden opened it, knife in hand. Cairo opened the door, "You are going to explain this." He shoved his phone in her face.

Eden scowled and looked at it. It was a screenshot of her own texts between Aramis. "You are monitoring my phone!"

"Why did you not tell me Aramis had texted you. He's been missing for the last 48 hours!" Cairo shouted. Eden pushed herself out into the hallway and tried to close the door so Venelope would not have to hear, but Cairo stuck his foot between the doorway.

Eden clenched her jaw, "All he did was send me an address. It doesn't mean he is there. He clearly didn't want you to know."

Cairo straightened his back, "Fine." He raised his hand and three men turned to corner. Eden tried to slam the door on Cairo's foot.

"Don't touch her!" She seethed. The men jumped on her, pinning her down. Eden felt the blood rush in her ears. "If you touch her, I'll just kill Aramis."

Cairo looked down at her in pity, "No you won't. Bring me brother back in time for the wedding." The men dragged her down the hallway. She could hear Venelope screaming her name. It sucked the life out of her. Eden went limp in their arms and let them drag her outside. They dumped her in the street.

She was quickly up, moving down the street as fast as she could. This was her life now. Now that Cairo had Venelope, Eden would be his lapdog forever. Eden let out a shaky breath.

The address that Aramis had texted her was in the country like part of the city. The houses on the hill were placed delicately so it looked like they were in the country except for the skyscrapers surrounding them. Eden had known this address was Aramis calling out to her. But she was mad at him and wasn't about to rush to his side.

Eden glared up at the Westin. It's great ivory arches and soft green tones made it seem as if a cozy rich family enjoyed life here. She turned around the side, ignoring the dark oak double doors. It was three stories with a million windows, but Eden chose the servant's entrance.

The lock broke in Eden's hand before she could even try and pick it. She dropped it and slowly opened the door. The hallway was dusty and dark, but light filtered from the end. She closed the door and inched forward.

Voices filtered from the room with the light. "Your brother has certainly grown his father's arsenal."

"I'm not going to fall for this and tell you all about Cairo and the Bloody Hands. I didn't forget you were a rebel," this was Aramis speaking. There was a soft clinking. Was he cooking?

The silence was interrupted again by a woman's voice, "I even hear you have an assassin." Eden's breathing hitched and it seemed that Aramis must have paused too. "Nolan told me I should be worried most about her. He believes she has the ability to tear all of the dynasties down."

Truthfully, Eden was touched by Nolan's odd belief in her. However, that wasn't really her agenda. She might consider it just to get out of Cairo's clutches.

"She's the oddest creature I've met," Aramis spoke. "One moment, she murders a man with no qualms and the next she's angry at my decisions to let Cairo lead me."

The woman chuckled. Eden wanted to listen more, but was scared for what came next. The gun against her hip slid right out as she turned the corner, "It's rude to speak about me behind my back."

The room they were in was the kitchen. A woman was tied to a chair at a small table with a wonderful spread layed out. Aramis was at the stove. He stopped stirring when he saw her, "I thought you weren't coming."

"I hadn't planned on it and then Cairo took Venelope," Eden said Cooley. Aramis took a moment to read her tone and body language.

He frowned, "He sent you after me?"

"You have a wedding to attend."

The woman interjected, "Are you the Hitwoman?"

Eden turned on the woman. Her dark hair was peppered with gray hair, but she had a familiar face. "Yes, Mrs. Havenash." She cringed and fell silent at Eden's use of her last name. "I'm not asking, Aramis. It's time to go."

He crossed his arms and she couldn't help but realize how rediculous he looked with a spatula in his hand, flour on his face, and an apron tied around his waist. "Actually, Eden I'm not going with you. You aren't my weakness."

Eden opened her mouth and scoffed, "So you are butt hurt?" He only glared. Eden didn't have time for this. She fired her gun at the floor beside his feet.

Aramis jumped up and dove, cursing as he went. Eden quickly caught up to him, "Are we fighting again?"

In response, he grabbed her arm and threw her over his shoulder. Eden crashed against the table, throwing plates and cutlery all over the floor. She grunted and threw her legs around his body. She twisted him and they rolled to the floor. Eden was on top.

"I'm dealing with family stuff right now. I can't go back," he grunted as he caught his breath.

Eden rolled her eyes, "I just killed my step mother and best friend. At least you have a mom."

Aramis pulled the table cloth off of the table and wrapped it around Eden's neck. She had to let go of him to keep from choking. He flipped her over, crushing her with his weight. "What happened to your real mom?" He sounded genuine. That was the most annoying part.

Eden wiggled a knife from her leg and brought it to his neck, "She was a whore who brought a baby to my father after nine months."

"My mother abandoned me too," he whispered.

Evelyn still heard, "I was trying to save you."

"Liar," Aramis and Eden said at the same time. Aramis eased off of her and Eden sat up.

"I'm going to stab you if you don't come with me," she declared.

Aramis tilted his head, a glint of amusement in his eyes. He leaned against the knife.

His breath mixed into hers. So close. All she could see was his eyes. Her eyes dropped from his to his lips.

Aramis kissed Eden. His lips were delicate against hers as if she'd melt. But Eden didn't have plans to melt away. She leaned in, intensifying the kiss. Eden closed her eyes. His tongue slid across her teeth, but she kept her mouth shut. Aramis let out a soft breath and Eden shivered.

The knife slipped from his throat.

"Are you sure the weakness isn't mutual?" Aramis asked as he pulled away, balancing the knife on his palm. Her chest rose and fell. Oh, she was going to murder him.