Chapter 26: little girls

(June)

The little girl at June's feet was not happy. Venelope had scorned the toys and favored crossing her arms and glaring up at June.

June sighed, "Eden will be back and then you can see her again."

"They were hurting her!" Venelope screamed. "I want my sister back." She sniffled as discreetly as she could, but her tears were not missed by June.

June slid to the floor. She rode her fingers through the rich green carpet. The room smelled of insense and tea. "When I was little, I was taken away from my home." Venelope ignored her, but she continued. "I was brought here as an attempt to create peace between two families. I hated everyone."

At that, Venelope seemed to perk up, "Did you try and run away?"

"Only once. I was twelve years old and I saw something no little girl should see. I packed a bag and ran out the front door," June paused, remembering everything. Venelope waited patiently. "A very mean man found me. He used to be the owner of this building. He punished me by- he punished me by hurting a boy my age. The only boy that was nice to me, despite me telling him I'd kill him."

Cairo hadn't been able to walk for a whole week. The very thing Cyprus told June had never left her thoughts. "Our actions will hurt those around us far more than it might hurt us."

Venelope jumped up, "That's a horrible story. Why would you listen to what a bad guy told you?" Once up, she noticed someone at the door and froze. June turned to see her fiancé leaning against the door.

"Bad guys build empires, child," he spoke calmly.

Venelope kicked a doll on the ground, "I don't want an empire. I want my family."

June stood up and approached Cairo, " Don't you find this all too exhausting?"

He tilted his head in puzzlement. His black hair fell into his eyes. June brushed them aside just as she had done when she had nursed him back to health. June sighed, "You promised me you would take me away from this life. We were supposed to travel. I've never once left the City."

"I took the danger away, June. I made you a life where you don't have to be afraid of anyone," He brought his hands up and gently laid them on her shoulders, "As long as I am with you, I don't care where else I am."

June pulled away from his honey words and sweet embrace, "Don't lie to me, Cairo. I understand you keep things from me, but don't lie to my face." She approached Venelope and Venelope took her hand. They left the room.

Another person waited in the hallway. Roman stood evesdroppingly close to the door. Roman was June's brother, just older than her. He was wearing a turtleneck and a long coat. Roman was the least likely to participate in the family business or even show up to the Crimson building. He was a pacifist. A fact he had only shared with June for fear their father might force him to kill.

"I need to speak to the two of you," he began in a rush. "You can't go forth with the wedding-"

Cairo shoved Roman back, "Who the hell are you to come into my house and try to stop MY wedding."

June let go of Venelope to get between the two of them. "Roman, explain yourself before my fiancé throws you out."

Roman took a step backwards, keeping a steely composure. Just because he was against violence, didn't mean he was foreign to it. He grabbed the railing and looked down the stairwell. "Something else is driving dad to do what he is about to do. Someone is pushing him. He considers your marriage a powerful peace treaty, but he cannot stop. June, your wedding will be turned into a battlefield."

June took in Roman's declaration. Cairo even seemed to be silent. "Who is pushing Dad?"

Roman shook his head. He didn't know. ""Even mother doesn't know."

"That means there are only two people who do know," June stood up straight.

Cairo looked confused, but Roman understood what she was saying. He grabbed his sister's arm, "Do not go to Zion." Zion, their illegitimate brother, and known weasel, long ago gave up trying to win their father's approval by aiding. Now he just knew everything and used it for himself. No matter what it was, Zion found out.

"Didn't Zion try and cut out your eye?" Cairo asked in surprise.

June automatically reached for her blind eye and shivered, "Well he didn't manage to because I fought him off."

"He blinded you and you were seven and eight!" Roman argued back. He had a very good point, but June had to fix what was happening. She couldn't let her family go to war. And she'd rather die than let her wedding be used as a war zone.

June passed her brother. She turned quickly back. Only Cairo and Roman waited. "Where did Venelope go?"

"Who?" Roman asked.

Panic set in, "The little girl."

Cairo ran back to the door, but he quickly left his office. No, Venelope had not returned. "She must have slipped away," he reasoned.

June was worried for the girl, but she remembered Eden's rage. June's hand shook, "She slipped away into a building full of crooked hired murdered and criminals." Criminals who could easily snatch her and sell her to the underbelly of the city for some gambling money.

June moved to the side rails to yell the girl's name, but Roman stopped her. "Don't let them know she is missing. She is a sneaky child and might be sneaking pastel everyone. She wouldn't be the first person to just sneak around, unnoticed."

He was right. Everything in June's heart wanted her to scream out to Venelope, but Roman was right. June tried to keep her composure as she slid down the stairway. Cairo and Roman were right behind her, all of their eyes trained on every nook and cranny. This building was huge.

"No child should ever be brought to this building," June seethed.