Chapter 17: the Market

(Aramis)

Somehow, she was upset more about the decisions he made with the will, rather than the Theo incident and their moment outside. Aramis watched in enraged amazement as Eden poured in the artillery room.

"Are you telling me, you are genuinely upset I gave away my claim to my fathers throne to Cairo?" He asked incredulously. It had been four days since the funeral and Eden had efficiently avoided him until it was time to plan action against Talitha.

Eden folded her arms, "I'm just saying it was stupid. Why would you do that?"

"Because I trust my brother."

She unfolded her arms and paved the room in rage. He had met her in this room at 9 in the morning and she had been like this for four hours. "You are an idiot."

Aramis stood up, "So, you aren't upset about anything else." He moved toward the table. "Maybe being assaulted. Or...our conversation?"

"No!" She yelled. "I'm not upset, I'm angry. You could be left high and dry."

He laughed, "Seems like you care a lot." A knife was thrown across the room and sunk into the wall near his head.

"This is the best place to scout out Talitha. She frequents these areas," Eden said, changing the subject completely.

Aramis looked down at the map, "If she's after Venelope, why not follow that lead?"

Eden stiffened, "She had no idea where Venelope is." She looked him up and down, "Go change into something more incognito. We don't need the prince of the Bloody Hands barging in on the scene."

"I don't like being called Prince," he mentioned as he turned to the door.

"Boo hoo. You've seen to it that you'll never be king." She shot back. Aramis threw the door closed before she could say more. He shook his head. Why was she like that?

Aramis caught his brother in the hall in the way to his room, "Cairo, I'm going out with Eden to scope out where Talitha might be."

His brother nodded, "Good. I'm glad to see progress is being made." Cairo paused, "Did you do anything to Theo?"

Aramis stepped back, surprised, "No, why?"

Cairo shook his head in befuddlement, "Theo took back his declaration to fight. I thought maybe....you had gone behind my back and fought him."

Flashes of the funeral forced their way to the front of Aramis' brain. But they hadn't properly fought. So why? Cairo walked off and Aramis went to his room to change.

Aramis met Eden outside the Crimson Building. He had found a pair of jeans at the back of his closet and a hoodie. When he saw her, anger sparked in him. "That's my blazer."

Eden did a little spin, "I only have the clothes that June lends me and that's all too fancy." She had belted it at the waist and was somehow making an oversized blazer look good. "Let's go: we are burning daylight."

They crossed the city through side walks, alleys and occasionally roof tops. Eden knew every turn and hidden spot. They left The Bloody Hands district and made their way through the Feathered Flames city. He hated being here.

Eden stopped and turned around, "aim going to need you to smile for me."

His frown deepened, "Why?"

"Because I don't need a looming man staring every one down behind me as we enter a animal rehabilitation center," she patted his chest. He was starting to wonder if she was bipolar.