Chapter 11: Rebel

(Nolan)

With June's caution, they had slowly crept down the street. More rebels. Nolan's comrades were shooting back at them. Aramis had fallen from the sky. Nolan wanted to go to him, but Leilani had grabbed his wrist.

"We need to help!" he hissed at Leilani. She didn't respond. She had June's knife in her hand along with her gun. She was just watching. Nolan pulled his hand from her, "What is wrong?"

June gasped as another figure joined the crowd. The hitwoman, Eden. Was she going to attack Aramis? She threw her knife and it hit the rebel. June looked over at Nolan in cinfusion. Clearly she was wondering why they weren't helping. Nolan had no idea but he was about to abandon Leilani and her command.

"There is someone else. Nolan, she si going to kill Eden," June pointed to a figure shrowdewd in the shadows. Leilani saw her just as Nolan.

Leilian dropped the knife to point her gun at Nolan, "Don't move." A thousand thoughts went through his head. Was she about to kill him? June went pale, but didn't move. "Watch," Leilani ordered.

Forced at gun point, Nolan turned his head to see Aramis crossing through direct gunfire. He had seen the stranger. The woman was shocked to see him as he tackled Eden. She fired and the bullet striked Aramis. Nolan brough his arm down on Leilani's arm and took the gun from her.

He ran across the street, firing. A quick breath, a milisecond to focus, and then fire. Two men dropped and the gunfire stopped. Nolan rushed to Aramis. Eden groaned and crawled out from under Aramis. Her forehead was bleeding but she didn't even notice. "Help me flip him over!" she yelled.

Coming to his senses, Nolan unfrozre and rollled Aramis over. Blood was pooling out of his stomach. Eden ripped his shirt off, trying to find the wound. Blood pulsed out. Aramis opened an eye and then screamed.

"She's gone!" JUne yelled as she ran back to them. "THe woman is running down 8th avenue." Nolan stood up, prepared to hunt her down.

Eden grabbed his leg before he ran off, "We can'y carry him alone." There was desperation in her eyes. Nolan nodded and lifted Aramis, slick with blood.

"Did you just call me fat?" Aramis whispered. His face was contorted in pain. Ever step that Nolan took, Aramis bit down on his lip to keep from screaming. He was heavy, but Nolan was slightly bigger.

Eden pressed his ripped shirt on the bullet wound, "Shut up." Her own voice was barely over a violent whisper. He pathetically tried to push away her.

Nolan watched them interact curiously. All cultivated hate and anger melted away and was replaced with a begrudging concern.

They turned the street, hurrying back toward HQ. As the crowds resumed, June and Leilani acted as a shield to push through them. Leilani silently lead with no explanation as to her earlier outbreak. "Who was that woman?" June asked.

"It was a woman?" Eden asked in surprise.

Nolan turned his attentions rom the burning in his muscles. "Yes, she was a young black woman. She was targeting you, Eden." Nolan's eyes wandered the streets, looking for any more threats. We're the rebels following?

Eden almost tripped. She turned away from them before he could see her expression. She didn't respond. Nolan was about to press further, when they turned the street and looked up at HQ.

The guards at the door ran over to them and took Aramis out of Nolan's arms. He watched a bloody Aramis leave once again. Nolan remembered when Aramis was only 14 and swearing he was going to run away and become a monk. He had tried to preach peace to everyone and Cairo had laughed in his face.