Chapter 1: The Shadows

Onboard the UNSC Pillar of Autumn, Captain Keyes walks down the hallways to his deck as everyone around him was busy doing their work: Repairing any damages, checking ammo supply, monitoring the Marines, ODSTs, and a Spartan team on board.

Inside of the bridge were the deck officers and technicians necessary to keep the ship in check along with its weapon systems.

"Hello Captain", A Blue feminine AI spoke, "Good to see you, Cortana", the Captain replied. "Now, what is it that you would like to show me", he asks the AI gladly to reveal to the captain some cryptid audio, but the voices are human, "We are pinned down... If you can hear us, send help immediately! We are outnumbered and outgunned".

"That signal", The AI speaks once more, "It came down from the planet as we speak". Captain Keyes looked down below as it is revealed they were fighting a Covenant cruiser just several miles away from the ship and further from the planet.

"Should we rescue them", Cortana asked, "I did overhear some of our troops have encountered these soldiers on the ground", she added. The Captain thinks of the situation, knowing full well what the Covenant is capable of, while also acquiring assets to eventually win the war. He looked to the AI and gave her his answer.

A Pelican flew towards the planet's surface as the towering Spartans inside the aircraft check their weapons and emitting some conversation amongst them.

"Who's it gonna be", Kelly-087 asked, wearing her white mark 4 Mjölnir armor.

"Dunno", Fred-104 replied in his blue-ish mark 4, "But they have to be very important if the Captain is sending us".

"Whoever they are", said Linda-058, looking out the Pelican to see a field of covenant corpses, ranging from the simple grunts to the hulking brutes, "Let's just hope they're on our side".

After landing the Pelican, the leader of the Blue team walked up to his team, "We'll find them", said John-117, "And we'll bring them back".

Blue team exited the Pelican and entered a building, where the trail of corpses lead them to.

The inside was dim, a bit foggy, and lots of blood and bullets. Many of the rooms were filled with plasma marks, each in varying sizes. What Blue team saw were pulverized heads, broken legs, snapped necks, multiple plasma shots, and chopped limbs. They now know these men, man, or whoever they might be, is dangerous and highly lethal.

It was at this moment, where John called upon his trusty companion. "Need me", the AI inquired, "Cortana, can you trace the origin of the signal you've intercepted", John asked. Cortana used her systems and the available systems in the building to find the signal.

"Done", She said, "One of them is located just North of your position", Then she looked further into the camera as the Spartans sprinted to said location, "But please hurry, I don't know how one could face 3 Elites alone".

The Spartans ran as fast as they could, but when they got there... It was a surprise to them. 2 corpses and 1 blue blood trail to the elevator. There were still working energy swords, one Elite with his back broken and another with his chest caved in.

"Cortana, what happened here", John asked, which Cortana then showed the spartans a video clip taken just before they arrived.

The video shows the 3 Elites in apparent fear, both in their limited facial expressions and their body language. They were firing upon an armored individual with a huge war club (specifically, it looked like an ancient Japanese Kanabo). One of the Elites rushed towards the man with his energy sword, but the man didn't falter. Instead, he catches the Elite's wrist and crushed it with one hand, making the Elite drop his energy sword as he desperately bashed the human's arm with his hand.

The other Elite roared and charged at the human, causing him to throw the Elite he was holding to knock one aside as one manages to punch his head. However, the momentum of that punch causes the human to spin around and break the Elite's back with his Kanabo.

Death #1: Elite's Back broken by a Kanabo.

The Elite that recovered from being knocked aside grabbed his energy sword and was about to end the human's life, however, the human dodged the thrust and crashed into the Elite, knocking it down as the man smashed the Elite's chest with a swing of the club.

Death #2: Elite's chest smashed by a Kanabo.

The last Elite uses the last of his strength to attempt to grab the hilt of his energy sword, but before he could do so, the man stomps on the Elite's hand and broke both legs. The last of the video shows the man dragging the Elite into an Elevator just as the Spartan arrived at the crime scene.

Kelly was the first to speak after watching the video, "Who was that". John simply stared at the video and the corpses simultaneously until he was given the conclusion of, "He's the asset".

"Well", Cortana spoke, "He's one of the assets".

"What do you mean", Fred inquired.

"I mean, there are 5 more to find than just him"

"There's more", Kelly interrupted, "Well, how are we supposed to find them".

By sheer luck alone, the elevator made it to their floor.

"I'll talk on the way up", Cortana smirked, earning a silent giggle from Linda.

In the elevator, the Spartans watch live camera footage of 6 men, all in varying sizes, looks, and armor interrogating what few Covenant were alive. Each of the members sported a different helmet which all ranges from a bit open to mostly armored. There is one consistency, however, the fact that most of their armor is dark-colored and has a scheme somewhat similar to Black Team.

They heard the following conversation between an Elite and a man, which they may presume is the leader of this small group of men.

"Listen here, Alien", the man spoke, "You're gonna tell us what are you doing here and why are you killing humans", he then walked to the Elite, which the largest of them captured, "or else", He then pointed a plasma pistol, at full charge, at the head.

"Talk"

"I won't", the Elites spoke, with what English the alien understand and learn.

"Okay", The man began pacing the room, till he got an idea. He walked up to the Elite and plunged the charged plasma pistol. The Elite screamed in agonizing pain as hot plasma is driven into the very skin and flesh of the alien.

The man takes away the pistol and pointed back at the wounded Elite.

"You think it'll work, human", the Elites mocked the man, a small smirk (whatever you call a smirk on an Elite in a visible medium), "My will goes beyond the pain and suffering you've brought upon us".

"Well then", the man paces once more, this time he discusses with his teammates the situation, with the conclusion that they are dealing with zealots - and it did not surprise them one bit.

The Elite laugh, "I shall die with the rest of my brothers, and our gods shall put their wrath upon you, weak humans". The man turned around and stared at the Elite, eye-to-eye. It was clear that this Elite wouldn't break. But, because the Elite is sentient and conscious, there is always a way to break him and there it is an idea.

"Killed them all", the man ordered, which his men executed the Elites except the one the man was starring at. The Elites is surprised till he realized what is going to happen to him, "We'll give you some lone time with your "Brothers". The Elites tried to move, yet the chains around the Elite are very strong. Soon the men leave the room and left the Elite for his sanity to dwindle with corpses surrounding him.

Blue team reached the floor and follow the blood trail till John ordered them to stop as he peaked and see the 6 men, talking to one another. John turned his head and tried to order Blue team, but there was a problem: There was no sound.

He has to resort to sign language to communicate then Blue team executed the order...