1

I shake myself out of the daze and step back from the statue of my mother and father. No matter how long I have spent here in Imladris, I cannot walk past the statues and paintings of my parents without being sent back to that day and the times before.The times when my parents and I lived happily in the town that housed the Grey Havens and, although the darkness rose steadily in the east, we did not have to run and hide. And I did not have to run and hide. 

I turn down the passageway and emerge out into the open air of Rivendell. I walk quickly down the path and almost run into Gandalf as he makes his way the other direction. 

"Elinaruil." The wizard smiles. "That is a poor way of greeting an old friend."

"Mithrandir, I apologize." I say quickly." I say, offering him a hug. I may not be particularly partial to them but he is. "Selvin is the name I use in these times."

"You have been scarce these past years." 

"With the increase in dark news coming from the East, I did not wish for any servants of Sauron to come across me, so I have been keeping mostly to these halls." I cannot help but smile at him. "You are a sight for sore eyes however." 

Gandalf is, without a doubt, one of those in Middle Earth I would call one of my great friends. He has been here since almost the beginning of my life and is one of the few who I have trusted with my true name and identity. 

"You know, of course, what brings me here?" He starts to walk again, and I walk beside him without question.

"Indeed I do." I sigh. "Although, I wish our meeting was not the result of such a dark moment."

"And yet, we must get through this darkness to see the light that could be." He smiled with his eyes. 

"You are always bring  hope with you."

"I think, in some ways, it is my only real task here." He laughs. 

"Elrond has summoned all the races to gather to discuss the ring." I tell him."Never before have I seen so many visitors here."

"It worries you?" He asks. 

"It does not worry me as much as it brings out my curiosity." I reply. "Elrond has yet to tell me what his exact intentions are with such a meeting. And I will not ask him, if he wanted to tell me, he would have already done so." 

"Very true." Gandalf agrees. 

We cross the city together talking of more mindless things. It is good to see my old friend. We come down the stairs and see a circle of men, elves, and dwarves gathered. I let Gandalf walk in before me, hoping to call some attention away from myself, and pull my hood up over my head. I scan them, looking to see anyone I know. One of the elves catches my eye and I smile. 

"Círdan -yes has been hae too anann (Círdan, it has been far too long)." I say, walking over to stand next to him. Cirdan turns to look at me, a smile spreading over his face. As one of the wisest in Middle Earth, it does not surprise me to see him here, but his presence still brings me joy. After the death of  my parents it only made sense that Cirdan, their closest friend, would become my caretaker. I spent my childhood passing in between Rivendell and the Grey Havens, which Círdan is the lord of. 

"Ni am filled as alasse ana cen- tye (I am filled with joy to see you)." He says in return and places a hand on my shoulder. "Tye have grown minna your features ehtelë. Your anta reminds me -o your ontáro. (You have grown into your features well. Your face reminds me of your father.) He says, trying to see my face from behind the hood. 

"Hantanyel (I thank you)." I respond with a small smile. 

"Emme shall have ana quet- tare ap- (We shall have to speak more after)" He says and I look up to see Elrond walking towards us. I take a seat between Gandalf and Círdan.