3

The fellowship retreats back down the mountain and sets a path for Moria. A dark quiet settles over the group as we travel under the clouded skies. On the second night of our journey, the depressed atmosphere is getting worse when suddenly Legolas turns to me.

"Fight me." He says quietly.

"Excuse me?" I say back in confusion.

"Fight me." He says again, but then luckily continues. "The dark aura lurking around everyone is making my skin crawl."

"And so you think the best way to get rid of that is to fight me?"

"Maybe."

"Hey what are you two doing?" Gimli calls over to us from where Sam is starting a fire.

"Fight Gimli then." I suggest. 

"I know I can beat Gimli." He whispers, leaning towards me with a mischievous smile.

"But you're not sure about me?" 

"No."

I have nothing to lose by sparring with him and now I'm curious to see him fighting as well.

"Fine." I agree and he grins at me. 

I toss my bag to the side and remove my cloak. I haven't taken off my cloak since the start of the journey. Hidden is the way I feel the best and I intend to stay as hidden as possible for as long as possible. But for this, it would be foolish to keep it on. 

The royal blue tunic with embroidered stars that I am wearing beneath the cloak is the same colors as the house of my father, The Elves of the West. Elrond takes every opportunity to remind me of my past.

I draw my sword and spin in it between my fingers. It's lightweight and fits comfortably in my hand. Legolas turns to face me, his two long knives in his hands.

"What are you two doing?" Pippin asks.

"Practicing." I say, fully focused on analyzing Legolas.

"Be careful with him Selvin." Gandalf chuckles. "I would like to keep him alive."

"That won't be an issue." Legolas says.

The rest of the fellowship watches, finally having something beside the feeling of doom that has plagued our journey lately.

Legolas settles into a battle stance, knees slightly bent, leaning slightly forward, and I wait for him to attack first. It takes a moment, but he seems unable to wait any longer and springs forward. 

Rather than stepping into the attack and defending myself, I easily step to the side, which seems to surprise him because he almost trips as he skids past me. He's fast on his feet.

"You asked me to fight you." I say to him as he regains his balance. "But you will have to get close enough first."

Although I was young, my father taught me to use a blade early and he always used to say that "It is only worth striking when your opponent is within striking distance. Otherwise, you look the fool."

Legolas apparently was not raised on this logic and leaps at me again and again I step aside. 

"Do you not enjoy the fight?" He asks, sending my a frustrated look.

"I do." I reply. 

"Then fight."

"Prove to me I have to first."

The seems to anger him and I can see the feeling rise in his face. This is a part of the strategy too. One on one combat is so vastly different than war, but it means you can interact one on one with your opponent. Which can give a whole different type of advantage.