5

*not edited*

The dark beauty of Morris sweeps out in front of us as we make our way down the passage.

"No!" Gimli shouts running ahead of the group and into a skylit room. "No, no."

We're all quick to follow him into a room filled with dwarvish skeletons and cobwebs. Gimli weeps openly, leaning over the top of the tomb that sits, bathed in sunlight, in the center of the room. 

"Here lies Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria." Gandalf says gravely, readint the inscription on the tomb. "He is dead then. It is as I feared" Gandalf kneels and gently pulls a large book from the hands of the skeleton leaning against the tomb, handing his hat and staff to Pippin. 

"We must move on." I hear Legolas say to Aragorn quietly. "We cannot linger."

I feel similarly but that does not stop Gandalf from reading the book out loud.

"They have taken the Bridge and the second hall. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums. Drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming."

We glance nervously at one another and I catch Legolas's eyes briefly before a crash fills the room. Pippin has backed away from the tomb and has knocked something into a well. He looks at all of us, eyes wide, as Gandalf stalks towards him and snatches his staff and hat back from the hobbits hands. 

"Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time, and rid us of your stupidity!" The wizard says harshly and Pippin lowers his eyes from us. 

At first, it seems that the noise has gone unnoticed by whatever it is that lurks under there mountains, but as Gandalf turns back to us we hear it. First one, then quickly others, drums from the depths of Moria. My hand jumps immediately to the sword at my waist. 

"Frodo!" Sam exclaims and Frodo draws his sword, which now glows blue. 

"Orcs!"Legolas shouts as Boromir rushes forward to slam the doors to the room shut. 

"Get back and stay close to Gandalf." Aragorn orders the hobbits who nod and duck back behind the wizard. He moves to help Boromir to bar the door. 

"They have a cave troll!" Boromir calls back to the rest of us and I draw my sword, letting the familiar weight of it settle into my hand. The door is being battered from the outside. 

"Agh! Let them come There's one dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath."Gimli says, speaking for the first time since he found the tomb. There is an angry glint in his eyes as he jumps up on Balin's tomb, axe at the ready.

The door begins to break and Legolas shoots a well aimed arrow through the hole in the wood. Aragorn follows suite and the pair shoot arrow after arrow through the door as more and more of the wood falls away. What's remaining door crashes down and the orcs rush in. I move to meet them and easily slice off the head of the first one I encounter. Not that that is of much help as the orc army surges at the door. 

Fighting in a battle is far different than sparring one on one with Legolas. There is no game here, not even a semblance of rules, only kill or be slaughtered. And there is no lack of ocrs that need killing.

The cave troll slams into the room, making the floor shake and pieces of rock crumble from the walls. Legolas aims an arrow at its chest, but it bounces off. Aragorn has ended up beside me and, out of the corner of my eye,  I watch him take in the scene and them turn to me.

"Take this." He hands off his bow to me, yanking the quiver from his shoulder and thrusting it towards me. He draws his sword before he and Boromir race towards the troll, pulling at the chain around its neck. I quickly sheath my sword and load the bow. Legolas and I pick off as many orcs as we can as Boromir and Aragorn try to get control of the troll. It swings around, slamming Boromir into the wall.