9

*kinda edited*

The next day we continue our way down the river but sitting beside Legolas still makes my heart pound. We force Gimli to sit the entire time, much to his annoyance. We pass under the Argonath as we enter Gondor and I watch the wonder on Aragorn's face. 

We arrive at the shores of the lake by midday and pull the boats up on the shore.

"We cross the lake at nightfall, hide the boats and continue on foot." Aragorn announces. "We approach Mordor from the North."

"Oh, yes, just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil, an impassable labyrinth of razor-sharp rocks. And after that, it gets even better..." Gimli snaps. I think it is just his dislike of the boats that has put him in a foul mood. "... a festering, stinking marshland as far as the eye can see."

"That is our road. I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf." Aragorn replies, unamused. 

"Recover my..." Gimli grumbles and stalks away.

"We should leave now." Legolas says, turning to Aragorn.

"No. Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness." Aragorn shakes his head. 

"It is not the Eastern shore that worries me." Legolas replies, his voice quieter. "A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near, I can feel it."

He trades a knowing look with Aragorn who says nothing more, obviously unwilling to change his plan. Legolas huffs indignantly and walks away. Aragorn turns to me.

"Aragorn." I say and he turns to me.

"Have you something to say about my plan as well?" He says, frustration rising in his voice.

"No." I smile softly at him and he looks slightly ashamed at his anger. 

"Sorry." He mumbles.

"It's nothing. I just wish to speak to you later. The next time we get a moment of quiet." 

He nods and looks away, out to the water, obviously deep in thought. Merry has been collecting firewood and drops it by Gimli.

"Where's Frodo?" Merry asks, glancing around.

Suddenly everyone is moving. I watch Aragorn quickly survey the group and his eyes land on the abandoned shield of Gondor. 

"Boromir." Legolas murmurs and we all have the same thought. Our of all of us, Boromir has always been the most susceptible to the draw of the ring. 

"We must find Frodo. Before Boromir does." Aragorn shouts. He takes off into the forest, back up the hill away from the water. Legolas and Gimli move take one direction down the shore and I take the other, instructing Pippin. Merry, and Sam to stay at our makeshift camp. 

As I make my way further away from them, I move back towards the river. The forest grows silent. Too silent. I kneel, placing one hand on the ground and feel it shaking slightly, hardly detectable but still I know. Legolas was right, we were being followed. Uruk-hai. 

I waste no time racing towards them. Getting closer, I can hear the sounds of metal against metal and Aragorn yell. I catch a flash of blonde hair though the trees. Legolas is running the same direction I am, Gimli behind him. Aeglos is in my hand without a second thought. I do not have much experience fighting with a spear, certainly not as much experience as I have with a sword or bow, but it feels right in my hand. 

I skid into the clearing as  Legolas's arrows fly above my head. Gimli runs yelling into the fray and I follow him. The spear is light and easy to work with. It matches my own quick movements better than any other weapon I have fought with. Perhaps there is something to be said about legacy.