2

*not edited*

"Tye indóme n- teréva mime hinya (you will be fine my child)." Círdan says to me, walking beside me towards the gates of Rivendell where the fellowship will soon be departing from.

"Ni as vamme ruce- (I am not afraid)." I answer, which is, in part, true.

"Lala, -yes na- ni i na- fearful an tye. (No it is I that is fearful for you)." He responds, stopping at the top of the stairs just before the gate. "N- varna, n- saira. (Be safe, be wise)."

"Ni indóme. (I will)." I respond, touched by his concern. He grasps me by he shoulders, meets my eyes with a nod and then releases me.

I meet the rest of the fellowship just outside Rivendell. Elrond's eyes meet mine. We said our goodbyes last night.

"By all rights, this is yours Elinaruil." He had said, taking my hands in his and setting the ring gently into my palm. "It was never meant to stay with me."

"I do not want it." I said, looking down at the ring Vilya, one of the three elf rings, that now sat in my palm. My father carried this ring to his death. 

"I will not take it back now. It is yours, as it was your father's before you." Elrond had nodded. "I will miss you, my child. But this is the path you are meant to take. 

Although I am almost glad to be going on this quest, there is a part of my heart that will stay behind within these halls. The last homely house East of the Sea.

"The Ringbearer is setting out on the quest of Mount Doom and you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will." Elrond says, looking at us all. "Farewell. Hold to your purpose and may the blessings of elves, and men, and all free folk, go with you."

He raises a hand to us and we turn to Frodo.

"The fellowship awaits the ringbearer." Gandalf says to him and he nods once, looking slightly nervous. He starts to walk down the path.

"Mordor, Gandalf, is it left or right?" He asks under his breath.

"Left." Gandalf answers kindly. And we set off.

***

The first part of our journey is uneventful and we spend most of our time slowly getting to know the lives of one another. The hobbits speak highly of the shire and all the things it has to offer, including the pipe-weed. Frodo teases Sam as he blushes talking about a girl named Rosie. Gimli describes the beauty of his home in great detail. Boromir tells us of his father and brother and the city of Gondor. At times, Aragorn and Gandalf tell tales of their travels through Middle Earth. Legolas gives a grand account of the halls and trees of his home.

There is a day, where as we rest and Boromir teaches Merry and Pippin to use the sword, where Gimli gives us the details of his family tree, bringing us all the way back to the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm who fought in the War of the Last Alliance along with the elves and men.

"And now my cousin Balin seeks to retake Moria once again." He finishes.

"That would be a great feat indeed." Aragorn says, lighting his pipe.

"And what about you, master elf." Gimli turns to me. "You have yet to speak of your family."

"You know not what you ask, Gimli son of Gloin." I respond, shaking my head. Gimli says nothing, only waits for me to speak more. The stubbornness of dwarves. "I grew up in the care of Círdan the shipwright in the Grey Havens. Later I moved to reside in Rivendell and learned a great deal from Elrond. I've travelled some of Middle Earth, but not as much as I wish to."