Chapter Three: Cold Hearted.

"Kate," Captain Wolfe's voice speaks as I slowly awake from my slumber. "You must wake up now."

Not opening my eyes, I extend both my arms out in front of me.

Captain Wolfe let's out a small chuckle as I feel myself being hoisted from the bear skinned chair. The sound of the study door opening and the smell of salt water seems to make me even more drowsy.

"You're lucky I am madly in love with you." Captain Wolfe whispers into my ear which sends a shiver of satisfaction down my spine.

"What hour is it?" I ask while opening my eyes.

"Late for someone of your state, you must be off to bed immediately." He states as he is able to somehow open one of the French doors to our cabin.

"But I have just rested."

Looking out the windows, I see the sun is just about to kiss the sea.

"I assure you I am completely fine. There is no need to worry about me at all." I reassure him as he places me gently upon our bed.

"Eric Wolfe takes no chances with such precious cargo as this." I watch as he hurries and grabs my night gown off one of the chairs and hands it to me. "Change quickly."

I stand from the bed and motion for him to turn around, which he does with hesitation. I throw my clothing onto a different chair, but leave my boots by the bed.

Crawling back into the warmth of the bed, I shut my eyes and fall into a deep trance of sleep.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

The sound of the alarm bell rings furiously, causing me to quickly sit upright upon the bed.

"Eric?" I whisper, but he is seen nowhere in the cabin nor next to me in bed.

A flash of lightning illuminates the room, allowing me to see one of the French doors slightly ajar.

Slipping on my boots, I begin to scurry towards the French door and open it, walking out into the hallway.

I am utterly frightened to the bone. The vessel is too quiet now as the furious ringing of the bell has come to a cease.

Slowly walking up the steps to the deck, I begin to hear talking and yelling. A large group of crew members stand in a circle in the middle of the deck.

"This is outrageous!" One man yells.

"I thought Tim was to check!" Another responds. "He ought to be taught a lesson after this incident!"

Nearing the group of men, I see no sign of Captain Wolfe anywhere. Mr. Jo quickly rushes from the commotion towards me.

"Go back to your cabin, Miss. I don't think you should witness this." He speaks softly as another clash of lightning illuminates the sky.

"Witness what?" I ask but then see Captain Wolfe's figure appear from where I had just come out of and directly towards the group of men.

"WHERE IS HE!" Captain Wolfe's voice bellows.

"Here, Captain!" One of the men speak and rush over to a barrel which on top is a sack of potatoes. "Caught him up in here I did."