Chapter 5: The Tense Tea Party

Kudou Arina sat on a couch in the Mouri Detective Agency. She had been invited to come over by one of her best friends, Mouri Ran. 

"Thanks for inviting me Ran! I've been so bored lately, all I do is work and sleep these days! Filming for my new drama has been tiring, and it's honestly kinda boring too," said Arina.

"No problem! You should come over often like before," said Ran, who was seated on the couch across Arina. "We used to play games together all the time, it's been so long!"

"Hmmm....what should we play though?" Arina wondered.

"How about a board game? Oh, but we're only two players..." said Ran.

"I know! We can play Monopoly and get Conan-kun to join us! He's here, isn't he?" said Arina.

"Yeah, he's upstairs. I think he's reading a book or something. I'll go get him," said Ran.

"Alright, thanks Ran! I'll start setting up in the meantime," said Arina.

As Arina finished setting up the board and distributing the money, Ran returned to the room with Conan.

"Conan-kun! I missed you!" exclaimed Arina as she gave Conan a big hug.

"I missed you too Rina-neechan," Conan said in a monotone voice, earning a grumble from Arina.

"Conan-kun, do you know the rules of Monopoly?" asked Ran.

"Yup!" he exclaimed in reply.

'Tee hee, onii-chan is really competitive when it comes to things like this, but Monopoly is not just about skill, it's about luck too, and Ran and I have amazing luck! He's definitely going to be extremely annoyed if he loses,' Arina thought to herself with a smirk.

"Alright, everything is already set up, so let's start!" said Arina. 

After about an hour of playing, Ran suddenly got a call on her cellphone.

"Oh, hold on for a bit, I'll just take this call real quick," said Ran.

"Hello?" she said as she started the call. 

A few seconds past, then Ran's expression suddenly darkened. 

"H-hospital?!" Ran suddenly exclaimed with worry. "I-Is she going to be alright?!"

"Thank goodness....I'll head over there right now, thank you," she said into her phone, then ended the call. 

"What happened?" Arina asked Ran.

"My mom is in the hospital for appendicitis," Ran explained. "I got really scared at first because I thought it was something else."

"Appendicitis?" asked Arina. 

"Yup. Anyway, I'm going to go visit her now," said Ran

"I'll go too...can I?" asked Arina.

"Of course!" Ran replied.

"Alright then we should head out right now. Come on, Conan-kun!" said Arina, as they all stood up and headed towards the door. 

Arina, Ran, and Conan headed to the hospital to check on Ran's mom. On the way there, Ran tried to phone her dad to inform him about it multiple times, but no matter how many times she called, there was no answer. 

They eventually arrived at the hospital only for Ran's mom, Eri's condition to worsen, and have to undergo surgery. Thankfully, her surgery was successful and she would be fine after a few days of rest.