Chapter 6: The Scarlet Showdown

Kudou Arina sat on the sofa in front of the television in the living room of her house. She was waiting for her father to appear on the Macademy Awards which was to be televised that evening. On Arina's right sat Okiya Subaru, or what appeared to be Okiya Subaru. In reality, it was her father, Kudou Yusaku, disguised as Subaru. 

Though she was about to discover whether her father won an important award, Arina's mind was elsewhere. She was focused on her brother's plan, which was to begin that night, in a few moments. Her brother had given her three simple instructions: one-- act normally, two-- watch dad (mom) on TV, three-- don't say anything unnecessary. Essentially, her job was very simple. However, Arina was nervous, very nervous, for Amuro Tooru would be paying her house a visit that night. 

'I'm not sure yet, but he might not be a bad person,' Arina remembered Conan saying to her earlier. 'That, we will find out tonight.'

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, signifying the start of the plan. Yusaku and Arina exchanged looks, then Yusaku went to get the door. 

Moments later, Yusaku returned, together with Amuro Tooru who had rang the doorbell. 

"Oh, if it isn't Amuro-san, good evening!" exclaimed Arina. 

"Good evening, Arina-chan!" said Amuro with a smile.

"Why are you here? Oh, could it be? Are you a friend of Subaru-san's?" Arina said acting curiously.

"Oh, this person is actually-" started Yusaku.

"I just have a few questions for him, that's all," Amuro said as a matter of fact.

"I'll bring out some tea then," said Arina. 

When Arina returned to the room with the tray of tea, Amuro was seated on the sofa she was on earlier, and Subaru-Yusaku was seated on the sofa across from him. After pouring a cup of tea for each of the two men, Arina took a seat on the single-seater sofa on the side, pretending to have her full attention turned to the television. 

"Do you like mysteries?" Amuro asked Subaru-Yusaku.

"I guess so..." Subaru replied. 

"Then let's start with this. It's nothing but a simple body exchange trick," said Amuro. 

"I see. An important element of mysteries," Subaru said in reply.

"A man gets shot in the head at Raiha Pass and burned together with his car. The fingerprints from that man's right hand, which narrowly falls short of being burned, matches the fingerprints on a certain boy's cellphone. As such, it proves he held it before. Thus, it was concluded that the person who died was indeed that man," said Amuro.

At this, Arina stifled a laugh.

"But it's strange," Amuro continued. "The finger prints on that cellphone. The man in question is left-handed, yet the fingerprints on the cellphone are from the right hand. Don't you find that strange?"

"Perhaps he was doing something else with his right hand when he was holding that phone," Subaru guessed.

"Or maybe he had no choice but to hold it with his right hand," said Amuro.

"Oh? Why?" asked Subaru. 

"Because another man had picked up the phone before he took it, and this other man was right-handed," explained Amuro. 

"Another man?" 

"Yes. In fact, three me are put into a situation where they'd pick up the cellphone. Now, here comes the question. The first one is a fat and greasy man. The second, a thin man with a cast around his neck, and the last, an old man with a pacemaker. Only one of these men left his prints on the phone. Who do you think it was?"