Chapter 7: Girls Band Murder Case

On a weekday afternoon, in Café Poirot sat four high school girls, and a elementary school boy. Three of the high schools girls were dressed in their uniforms, while one was dressed in casual clothes. 

"A band, a band!" exclaimed Sonoko. "Let's make a high school girls band with the four of us!" 

"Why all of a sudden?" asked Sera.

"The high school girls' band in yesterday's movie was so pretty!" explained Sonoko.

"Yeah, yeah, I agree!" exclaimed Arina.

"And? What instrument will you play Sonoko-neechan?" asked Conan as he sipped his juice. 

"The drums, obviously!" said Sonoko. "The drummer girl in the band looked just like me, she was cool!"

"Well then, I..." Ran started.

"You've got long black hair, so you're the bass! The bass girl in their band was just like you!" Sonoko said to Ran.

"B-But I've never played a bass, you know?" said Ran.

"You're good at playing the piano, right Ran-neechan?" said Conan. 

"Should I play the bass then? I know a bit from my brother's friend in the past," said Sera.

"Eh? Masumi-chan can play the bass? That's so cool!" exclaimed Arina. 

"Okay then! You're the bass, Sera-chan! Will you play the keyboard, Ran?" asked Sonoko.

"Yeah, but where will this band debut?" asked Ran.

"We'll perform in the countdown performance contest, which will be held on the final day of the year, right here in Beika City!" exclaimed Sonoko, holding up a poster for the event. 

"Then will Arina-chan play the guitar?" asked Sera.

"Well it's not one of my best instruments, but I do know the basics," said Arina. 

"Rina-chan, you're a musical genius who can play so many different instruments, so I'm sure you'll be fine!" Sonoko encouraged Arina. 

"But this'll be a performance, right? I've never even had formal lessons or anything. I don't know if I'll be able to play anything that's fast..." Arina doubted. 

"If you practice a bit, you'll be able to play it soon in no time at all!" Sonoko reassured her. 

"Try playing it then!" said a voice from another table. 

The girls all turned their attention to the voice. 

"I'll lend you my guitar," said a man in a black hat and shades, who was holding up a guitar. "I've linked it with a score in my phone. You can make it sound at once, see?"

The man handed the guitar over to Sonoko, who was trying to figure out how to position her fingers.

"What? You can't play it, huh?" taunted the man.

"You can't play it, so don't brag, you high school girl!" said the man's friend. 

Furious, Arina suddenly stood up from her seat. "Hey you-" she started, turning towards the man.

"Hand it to me," said Amuro to Sonoko who was on the verge of tears, just as Arina was about to start chewing out the man. 

Taking the guitar from Sonoko, Amuro started to play it. 

'Wow, he's so good!' everyone thought as they listened to him.

"Well if they practice a bit, they can play like this," said Amuro as he handed the guitar back to its owner.