6

"Hey little brother," Kathleen said, her face confused as Derek stood and hugged her tightly, pressing a quick kiss to her cheek.

"What are you doing in the city?" he asked, trying to put off the awkward introduction he was going to have to make.

"Christmas shopping," Kathleen said. She pushed him aside and held her hand out to Meredith. "I'm Kathleen."

"Meredith," she whispered as she shook her hand, looking down at the table.

"I'm Derek's sister," Kathleen announced, obviously waiting for Meredith to identify her relationship to him.

"I'm um...." Meredith bit her lower lip as she glanced at Derek, and he rolled his eyes. His sisters were nothing if not pushy and overbearing.

"Meredith is a friend," he said. "She's keeping me company for dinner because Addie's working."

Kathleen nodded, her gaze remaining on Meredith, and he could tell that his sister was trying to determine if she believed them or not. "Kathleen," he snapped.

"Sorry," she sighed, plastering a fake smile on her face. "I'll um...see you in a couple weeks at Mom's?"

"Hopefully," Derek sighed. "Addie's fighting for her parents' house this year."

Kathleen's face melted. "Oh Derbear," she whispered. "Are you still having trouble?"

Derek shrugged as he glanced briefly at Meredith. "We're trying to work things out," he nodded slowly. "But...it doesn't help when she doesn't listen to me."

"Do you need to talk?" Kathleen asked softly.

"Not now," Derek shook his head as he reached out to squeeze her shoulder. "Christmas. We'll talk then."

"Good," Kathleen said. "Because I know that you've had some difficulties with Addie, but if you two want to talk..."

"Kath," he laughed slightly. "Remember when we talked about you going all therapist on us?"

"Right," Kathleen smiled. "Sorry."

"It's okay," Derek said. "I'll see you soon."

"Bye Derbear," she smiled before turning to Meredith. "It was nice to meet you."

"You too," Meredith whispered.

Derek settled back into his seat as Kathleen walked away, looking carefully at Meredith. "You're freaking out," he stated.

"She thinks we're having an affair," Meredith hissed.

"No she doesn't," Derek sighed. "She's just...Kath."

"Derek," Meredith sighed, looking around the restaurant. The small Italian restaurant that was filled mostly with couples, save for the family sitting at the one large table in the opposite corner. "I don't...it looks bad. Really, really bad."

Derek ran a hand through his hair. "Do you want to go?" he asked.

"No," Meredith said quickly. "Because then she'll really think something's going on, and I just...she's your sister, Derek."

"I know," Derek nodded. "But it could have been a lot worse."

"Worse?" Meredith frowned.

"Kath's one of the nice ones," Derek said. "Caitlin and Nancy...they're my sisters and I love them, but they're very nosy. And they love Addison."

"Oh," Meredith nodded slowly, biting her lower lip.

"If Nance had come..." Derek shook his head. "She probably would have outright accused us of having an affair."