10

This wasn't his house.

Derek blinked in surprise as he sat up on the couch, suddenly remembering that he was in Meredith's apartment. And then he remembered why he was in Meredith's apartment, and he felt the nausea rising in his stomach.

"Hey," he heard her voice from behind the couch, and he turned to see her standing in the doorway to the kitchen, looking completely adorable as she held a cup of coffee out to him. "How are you feeling?"

"Okay," he sighed, reaching to take the coffee and taking her in. She was wearing a pair of leggings and a Dartmouth t-shirt, her head tossed in a ponytail on the top of her head. He loved how completely natural she looked. He'd been married to Addison for nearly eleven years, and she had still felt the need to do her hair and put make up on before she even ate breakfast.

Then she'd slept with Mark.

"Do you need something for the hangover?"

"I'm not hung over," he lied. He wasn't exactly sure how much tequila he had consumed the night before in attempt to erase the picture of Mark and Addison from his head.

"Here," Meredith said, handing him some Advil. "And you owe me a bottle of tequila."

"I didn't drink that much," he protested.

Meredith silently pointed to the table where he turned to see an empty tequila bottle.

"Okay, you had some too," he argued.

"I know," she laughed. "So I was going to make you breakfast, but then I realized that that might actually more sick."

"Don't worry about it, Mer," he sighed. "I'll just...grab something somewhere."

"No you're not," she said, grabbing his hand and pulled him into the kitchen. "Lexie owed me, so I made her make breakfast. All I have to do is put the pancakes on the stove and make sure that they don't burn."

"I think you can handle that," Derek said, touched by her efforts to make him comfortable.

"You'd be surprised," she sighed as she reached into the fridge and pulling out a plate full of fruit. "Help yourself."

"Thanks," Derek sighed as he sat down at the table. He watched her for a moment, finding her completely adorable as she concentrated on pouring the batter onto the stove, trying her best to make them perfect. "Mer?"

"Hang on," she said, flipping the pancakes and turning to look at him over her shoulder. "Yeah?"

"Thank you."

"I'm not going to let you starve, Derek," she shrugged. "It's no problem."

"No," he shook his head as he stood and stepped closer to her, reaching for her hand. "Thank you. For being here and taking care of me. I honestly...I have no idea what I would have done without you last night."

Meredith squeezed his hand. "Of course I'm here for you, Derek," she said. "Whatever you need."

"You have no idea how much that means to me," Derek breathed. "So thank you."

"You're welcome," she smiled up at him.

"One more thing," he smiled softly.

"Hmmm?"

"I think your pancakes are burning."

"Crap!" she turned away from him and immediately reached for the pan, pulling the black pancakes onto a plate. "This is so your fault."

He laughed as he stepped up beside her to take the spatula. "Allow me," he said.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "You're...I can do it."