21. The Meteoroid

"Two intruders have entered the facility, "announced the hangar's security system. Not that Samsun needed to be informed that two humans materialized out of thin air right next to him. 

"A monkey!" screamed Murphy and she raised her hammer threateningly. 

"Whoa, lady," said Samsun holding up his hands.

"I think he's a friend," said the male human. "I'm Melock and this is Sister Murphy."

"Samsun," said the gorilla thumping his fist against his chest. "You're right on time. Maybe you can talk your Gastraddar aboard the Meteoroid." 

Everything in the hangar was centered around a big rock. The top of the pucked-shaped boulder was speckled in sensor equipment, transponders, and antennae. The bottom was capped by a cooper magnetic plate that caused the craft to hover. A horizontal clear quartz band across the front revealed itself to be a window. 

Samsun led them to the other side of the stone spaceship where Øregård sat shirtless sorting through a box of robot parts. The ogre wiped his hands on a rag and stood up; his muscle-bound greenness covered with the scars of a warrior's life. Murphy recognized herself in his markings.

"Øregård!" she exclaimed crossing the distance in two steps to hug the big monster.

He set her back on the ground and grunted a hello of, "Wizard," to Melock. 

A Makina battlebot clanked out of the one small door on the side of the Meteoroid. Three blue eyes glowed from an oval face set vertically under arching shoulders. Its body was finely polished gunmetal blue with armor-reinforced arms and legs. It moved with a precision that sent a startling concern into the humans who watched. Its center eye dulled and slid open. Behind it sat Mr. Grimble in a small command center built into the skull of the robot.

"Friends, may I present, my latest creation: A fully controllable Ibi-Ero Makina battle droid exoskeleton."

Grimble guided his robot over to Øregård, grabbed him with one arm, and lifted him above the robotic suite's head. Øregård kicked to get free but couldn't. The two-meter-tall robot was smaller than him but way stronger and heavier. The giant ogre struggled in vain against the clamp-like hands of the Makina. Grimble released him and he dropped to the ground.

"What an impressive iron golem," said Melock standing on his toes to peek inside. 

"Ursa Minor gnomes are the best builders of cybernetic and transportation equipment in the galaxy. When we first ventured into space we quickly realized we were smaller than many other species so we compensated with technology. I'd be in a lot of trouble in more than a few systems for daring to create this abomination," said Grimble. 

"There is the moral question to walking around in another sentient lifeform's body; construct of wires and parts though it may be. You're a bit like a hermit crab, from a naturalist point of view," said Melock. "So is this what the Makina look like?" 

"Yes, some of them. I replaced the brain with a control system, built out a small living center, and added an internal self-contained environmental system. With this body, I should be able to pass for a Makina soldier."

"He's very proud of his work," said Øregård rubbing the shoulder where he was lifted.

"You helped, my skillful friend." The praise lightened Øregård's frown.

"And this is the ship we'll be taking?" asked Melock looking into the door of the boulder. "Oh, another robot."

A second android emerged from the door. Melock and Murphy were smallish humans (both around five feet tall) but the humanoid robot that exited the ship was precisely 1.3 meters. It was plated in oxidated brass; a phosphorescent green covered dull cooper. Its head had two antennae for ears, mechanical clockwork eyes, and a series of vertical lines for a nose and mouth. Its structure was that of an androgynous small-framed human physique. 

"I am Integer from the land of Uz. My primary function is covert interplanetary anthropological, biological, and geological research. My species has long since evolved past the need for organic bodies. However, in return for your kind assistance in reactivating me, I have agreed to fairy you on your journey," said the robot in a tinny voice. "If you would join me aboard the Meteoroid, we can begin."

"I don't fit." Øregård folded his arms and stood up straight; his full height being taller than the outside of the ship. 

"He can hardly sit up in the hold," added Grimble. "And while Gastraddars are fabulous fighters, he isn't much use if we have to strip off his armor just to squeeze him through the door." 

"Well, Øregård," said Melock considering his strongest ally easily bested by Makina technology, "I could teleport you back home."

"No magic. My people wouldn't understand."

"I see. Our next destination is the Green Sun—"

"A most excellent choice," interrupted Integer. "The Green Sun is the ancient epicenter of the land of Uz. One of the twelve wonders of our galaxy. I see why you revived me." 

"Yes... and there's a Gastraddar presence there, I'm told," said Melock. 

"I could not return to my people without paying you back for saving my life," said Øregård. 

"Can I call upon your debt at another time when your skills are in need?" 

"My life is yours, I will vanquish many enemies for you, wizard." 

"Excellent, I'll contact you like this..." 

Melock snapped his fingers and Øregård felt a strange taste in his mouth. He touched his back left molar and it felt momentarily hot. A small unseen rune etched itself on his tooth. In his head, he heard Melock's voice as well as through his ears. "Would you suffer the journey to Uz in the hold of this stone ship?" 

Øregård relaxed his stance. "But no further and it won't be pleasant." 

Melock and Murphy followed Integer and Grimble's Makina bot aboard. Øregård shoved his box of gear through the door and squeezed himself in sideways. Samsun slammed the hatch shut and went to open the hangar doors. 

The interior of the Meteoroid was made for small robots; a tiny bridge with just two seats and almost no room to move at all, an engine room with even less free space, and a low ceilinged cargo hold retro-fitted for the necessities of organic creatures. An oxygen and water recycler stood in the corner next to a makeshift shower/evacuation closet which in no way could accommodate a Gastraddar.

Integer led Melock and Murphy to the bridge where it sat down into a kind of robot holder that was more of a pug-in station than a seat. The little flight room had an additional place next to Integer functioning as a copilot station. Melock and Murphy stood in the small space behind the seats. 

"Tell me about your ship," said Melock. "Does it have neural connection capabilities?"

"It does not. The Meteoroid is named after the type of asteroid its hull is formed from."

"Like a shooting star?" asked Murphy. 

"Yes," said Integer," though they are not actually stars. Even if one could argue all matter in the universe is produced by stars. The Meteoroid is an information recording exploration device with a solid-state gravitomagnetic drive. Designed for observational expeditions, it is meant to see and not be seen. You may consider it poorly disguised at close inspection but it is a discreet and stealthy vessel on the scale of the cosmos. One that has made extensive maps of the FeRRum system, including the Makina homeworld."

"Excellent. How do I connect to your databanks?" asked Melock taking a floating cross-legged seat above the uncomfortable-looking copilot station. 

Melock showed his mobile device to Integer and the robot opened a small compartment above its head, pulled out a small box and a bunch of wires, plugged it into a socket in the dashboard, and handed the box to Melock. 

"Place your device here and connect through it with your neural transmitter," said Integer. 

Melock activated his mobile, grinned, and dove it. "It already knows my language, of course." 

"Of course," echoed Integer. "Prepare for takeoff." 

Murphy held onto the back of the seat and watched out the window. Samsun was waving a slow goodbye with a long hairy arm and smiling in a way only a nouveau riche gorilla could. The Meteoroid tore away from the moon leaving a trail behind it like a reverse shooting star.