41. Queen's Sword

What the locals called the wondering tower appeared in the fields beyond the great city gates. Melock and Sister Murphy walked out its front door. Luckily it was generally windy on the western plains for the air was filled with the smoke of a funeral pyre. 

Citizens were running cartloads of bodies out of the city and chucking them into a blazing bonfire. Thick black smoke rose into the air and drifted off for miles into the distance. 

"It smells like roasted boar. Thank you for suggesting we eat before coming," said Murphy. 

"Of course, let's walk to the palace and help out along the way." 

Murphy wore leather armor and the cursed gauntlets, not that anyone in the city knew what they were. She carried the black mace over her shoulder. Melock had the King's sword stuck through the belt of his robe. 

As they approached the citadel, a large group of people was attempting to rehang the left side of the great iron gates. Melock reached out with his hand, levitated the thick iron-barred door, and placed it perfectly on its massive hinges. The crowd erupted into cheers. They surrounded the wizard with welcomes of joy. One of the few remaining city guards stepped up in recognition.

"You've recovered the sword?"

"The King's last words were that it be returned to Princess Ælfwynn. Has she and her brother returned to the palace?" 

"The Queen has taken her place on her father's throne with the Prince at her side. The return of her family's sword will cement her position." He turned his attention to the onlookers. "Melock the Wise has returned the Queen's sword, make way! Make way!" 

The crowd parted for the wizard and his unusual bodyguard to pass. All the way, through the city and up to the palace steps, Melock magically fixed things. He righted overturned carts and merchant stalls, filled water barrels to overflowing, cured wounds, filled outstretched hands with gold, purified wells, repaired homes, and placed oversized rainbow lollipops into the hands of every child they passed. By the time they reached the palace entrance, the city was a buzz with his welcome. 

They entered a great hall to the sound of trumpets. It that was far brighter and more lively than their last dismal visit. Ælfwynn stood when she saw them come in. Her younger brother and heir to the throne was chasing other children around the room pretend fighting with wooden swords. 

Melock walked up to the boy and drew the golden sword.

"This sword, my fine lad, was forged in the stone mountains by your great great grandfather. Passed down through the generations of your family it has become the symbol of your ability to lead. It came to your father when he became King and it is his intent that it passes to you. When you are ready, you will become King Æthelred the Third." 

The Prince marveled at the glorious golden blade. Melock tousled the boy's hair and approached the steps to the throne. 

"Queen Ælfwynn of the West. We have never formally met. I am—"

"You're Melock the Wise, the greatest conjurer in the world. Of the same Abraxain order as my father's former council and mage, Luculentus Dicax Sid. I know of your relationships with my grandfathers. I was mentored by Dicax during my education. He taught me to think, to learn, and to adapt."

"Your father asked to return this sword to you and that while Queen, you teach your brother not only all that you know of statehood but how to wield it in battle." He handed her the blade which she excepted with honor. 

"My father taught me basic swordsmanship," said the Queen. "Thank you for returning it to our family. I must ask if the evil one is gone for good? Were you able to fully defeat him? We have seen no signs of the undead." 

"The Necromancer has been defeated. He will not return to darken this land. I'd like to help you get back on your feet again." 

Melock reached into his satchel, pulled out fists full of emeralds, and filled the hands of the Queen and her attendants. "These are gifts from another former Abraxian Wizard named Tykö. He gave his life correcting the mistake of releasing the Necromancer. Use them to restore your kingdom and bring back prosperity to the land."

"I will do just that." She hesitated and looked down before continuing. "I hate to ask you for more but would you consider the role of replacement for Dicax?"

"I have many obligations that require my time. I will, however, check-in on you... from time to time." Melock leaned in close and whispered, "When you get to it, search the rubble of Sid's tower and collect everything you can. Look for a mirror or shards of a broken mirror that once hung in his study."

"I know that mirror," whispered back the Queen. 

"Get the pieces, have your glass maker bind them back together if possible, when you're alone tap the mirror three time, and send a message to me. I'll answer if I can. If I can't the mirror will let you know. Gather any other strange artifacts you find and keep them in the royal vault until I can come to examine them." 

The Queen's mind flooded with all the objects of the wizard's tower that had fascinated her as a child. "I will certainly do as you advise," she whispered. 

Melock stood up on his toes, smiled at the Queen warmly, and rolled back onto his heels again before standing still. "In addition," he said aloud so all could hear, "I'd like to leave my Paladin here for the next two seasons."

Murphy winked at the Queen from the bottom of the steps.

"This is Sister John Murphy, a holy warrior of unmatched skill. She will help you train a new set of royal guards and act as your personal bodyguard until the time when your guards can take over."

"Thank you, Sister. We would be most grateful for your help."

Murphy nodded. 

"What other help are you in need of?" asked Melock. 

"Really it is so strange. Death came so fast and then left again. The price we paid was in lives. Though we'll have a hard time bringing in the harvest this year, it will be abundantly plentiful for what's left of our population. We'll have such a surplus, all will want for nothing. No treasure was stolen and even with the destruction we have more than enough housing. The rebuild effort will take time, but we will trade and grow and our fortune will attract many."

 "Splendid. I bid you farewell for now." 

Melock bowed and turned to Murphy. 

"If you need me, talk to the fly. When you feel the Queen's safety is no longer an issue I'll send the tower for you."

He opened his palm and a little house fly buzzed out of his hand. It landed on Muprhy's fingers staying clear of her gauntlets. It looked up at her and flashed color in its eyes before flying off and landing on the wall of the audience chamber. 

"We owe them for the wrongs we caused. I will train them well. I won't let you or them down," said Murphy. 

"I've all the confidence in the world. I'll see you in a while." 

She watched him walk off toward the door and vanish as he went through the threshold. 

I'll see you in a while. Melock didn't say goodbye to her. A while could be any amount of time. She had already learned that much in the time she spent with him. She took it upon herself to better herself during these long periods of inaction. She would sink into meditative trances and reach dizzying heights of ecstasy in her prayer and religious fervor. She would train in battle and hone her skills to the sharpest point. 

Melock's see you in a while was also a prediction that another quest lay in wait for her. That he would draw her into another adventure that would pit her against unimaginable odds and it would be up to her to be able to face it. She had learned to both trust his words and to read beyond their face value meaning. The old wizard saw that she was part of his future and she felt deep within her heart that she would spend the rest of her life in his service. 

She thanked the gods of fate for the blessing. Melock would expand her purpose of fighting evil exponentially. He was good. She could see that. And as for this Princess turned Queen, well, they were about the same age, maybe they could teach each other a thing or two. 

She looked at the fair Queen and prayed to find strength through friendship.