15| it matters

𓆰

𓆰

3rd person POV

It's Friday afternoon, and Heeseung spent most of the day thinking about Seoyeon and Jake. No matter how many times he'd distract himself, it was carved right in the front of his mind.

He wanted to know what Jake is planning on telling her, and if it's something important, then that something better not be what he's thinking of.

Basketball practice just ended, and it's not a lie that things were getting awkward between him and Jake. During practice, he noticed how Jake was starting to become distant, or he wasn't sure if it was him that's distancing himself away from his best friend.

Annoyed by all the possible assumptions in his head, he abruptly pushed the restroom door open, and dropped his bag on top of the counter sink. He turns the faucet tap on and splashed some water onto his bare face to get rid of all the dirt and sweat.

If only he could wash away the anger that's burning inside of him at the moment.

He wasn't even sure why he was angry. After Seoyeon backed out of their date, everything seemed to annoy him.

Is he angry because she backed out? Angry because Jake asked to hang out tomorrow when he did first?

No, he's angry about the idea of them alone in that cafe. What's worse is that Jake is planning on telling her something, and Heeseung knew what it's all about.

He lets the water run and stares right through his reflection as he grips both hands against the edge of the sink. In the middle of his inner rant, the restroom door opens and from the reflection of the mirror, he watched as Jake walked in and shuts the door close.

"Hey man, we need to talk." Jake sighed as he sauntered towards him from behind.

Heeseung turns the faucet off and grabbed his washcloth from his bag to wipe the water out of his face. "About?" He asked.

"You've been avoiding me."

"I could ask the same to you."

"I'm not avoiding you..."

"Then I'm not avoiding you either..."

There it was. The tension. The awkwardness. It fills the air between them and Heeseung wondered about why and how things ended up this way.

"Is something bothering you?" Jake asked, dropping his bag right next to Heeseung. "If you're mad at me then just say it so we'll talk it out. Just like we always do." He pats Heeseung's shoulder then turned on the sink to wash his hands.

Heeseung watched his best friend carefully, observing his every move. Unable to hold himself back any longer, he cleared his throat and parted his lips to say something. "I heard you asked Seoyeon to hang out tomorrow..."

"She told you that?" Jake asked, turning off the faucet, but Heeseung didn't bother answering that.

"and I heard you wanted to tell her something important."

Jake flicks his hands to get rid of the water and turned to face Heeseung. "She told you that too?"

"Why does it matter if she told me?" Heeseung answered sternly.

"Well it actually doesn't matter to me but I can surely tell that it does for you," Jake fired back, leaving Heeseung at a loss for words. Silence was the only thing that followed after Jake's remark, and Heeseung cleared his throat to get rid of the rage that was building up inside him.

Right before any of them could say something, Jay entered the the restroom door and instantly felt the tension between the two. "Oh..um..Coach wants us back to the court for a short meeting. Is everything alright here?" He asked, watching the stare-off between his two best friends.

Heeseung shift his gaze away from Jake and looked at Jay's worried expression. "Yes, everything's okay here. Tell coach we'll be there in a minute." He tells him.

Jay hesitated for a second but after receiving an assuring nod from Jake, he immediately left the two of them alone.

"Sorry about that, I think I got caught up there. We should head back." Jake was about to grab his stuffs when Heeseung stops him.

"Are you going to tell her?" He asked Jake.

"Tell her about what?"

"About your feelings."

Jake releases a long sigh of frustration. "I am and I will Heeseung. If you're going to stop me then I'm sorry to say this but you can't because I already made up my mind." He said and slings the strap of his bag over his shoulder.

"You agreed—"

"Not to tell her, I know. But I'm not going to give her up, and for your correction, we both agreed to the rule of not dating her or anyone in the group but that doesn't mean we can't confess our feelings." Jake tells him. "Listen Heeseung, I don't want to argue about this with you again but I'm not going to back out."

"That's not what I'm trying to tell you here. It's not that I don't want you to confess to her." Heeseung argued back.

"It looks like it." Jake retorted.

The restroom door opens again and Sunghoon peeks inside, disrupting their argument. "Hey, Coach—"

"Yes we know!" The two boys fired angrily, making Sunghoon flinch by their unexpected reply.

"Geez... sensitive much?" Sunghoon scoffs and Jay who happens to be behind Sunghoon, pulls the boy back out of the restroom.

As soon as the door shuts, Jake parted his lips to say something before Heeseung could. "I'll go now. If it makes you feel any better, you can confess yours to her as well. I'm not against that."

Heeseung was about to reply back, but Jake sauntered away and was out the door before the words could escape his mouth.

"If only you know Jake. I just don't want you to get hurt." Heeseung whispered to himself before grabbing his own stuffs and followed hastily out the restroom as well.

One of the restroom stall clicks open and Sunoo walks out with his mouth wide open in shock. "Did I just witness my best friends fight over my girl Seoyeon?!" He quickly pulls out his phone from his pocket and dials Niki's number. "Ya! You have no idea what I just witness!"