1

She was beautiful as she stared at him in shock, her dirty blonde hair falling over her face that was slightly flushed, from the alcohol or the surprise of seeing him he wasn't sure. But right now in this moment, all he could think was that Meredith Grey was completely beautiful.

He'd tried to tell her the night before that Richard had called him and let him know that he needed a new head of neuro, but she had completely shot him down as she'd tried to force him out of her life. He'd been completely torn apart when he'd left her apartment, but he'd already accepted the job offer. So he'd decided to wait until he ran into her at the hospital to surprise her.

But when he'd walked into the bar after signing his contract to see her sitting before him, downing shot after shot of tequila, he knew that it was a sign that things might work out for them after all. He'd known that Meredith hadn't wanted to break up with him, only that she was scared. And she was right, there was no way it would have worked with her in Seattle and him in New York.

Which was why he'd accepted the job in Seattle.

"Derek," she breathed, reaching out to touch his shoulder, as if to convince herself that he was real. "You're...you're here."

"I'm here," he nodded, taking her hand and squeezing it tightly. "And I'm not going anywhere."

"But what about New York?" she asked.

"New York's my past," Derek said. "This is my now. You're my now."

"I don't understand," she said, confusion clouding the eyes that were already less focused from the tequila she had consumed. "What about your job?"

"Richard called me a couple days ago," Derek said. "He needed a new head of neuro, said that I would be perfect for the job. I decided to take it."

"Why didn't you tell me?" she breathed.

"I was going to," he said. "But then you seemed convinced that this whole thing was a mistake.

"Oh," Meredith breathed. "Derek, I'm sorry."

"If you really think that," he said softly, his throat closing up. "I'll leave you alone. I promise, but I really don't think that you want to end this. I hope you don't want to end this, because I can't imagine my life without you anymore."

"Derek," she breathed, leaning forward to kiss him. "I don't want to end this. I just... you're sure? About leaving New York and your family and your practice? For me?"

"I'm sure," he nodded, squeezing her hand tightly. "It's what's best for me. I'm going to miss my family, but I'm sick of being terrified of seeing Mark or Addison every time I turn a corner. And Richard had some very promising offers for my future here, so it's what's best for me, and for us. This is where I should be, Mer."

"Oh, Derek," she breathed, leaning into his embrace. "I'm so glad you're here."

"Me too," he sighed, inhaling the scent of her hair. "By the way, thank you."

"For what?" she whispered, nuzzling her face into his neck.

"I noticed that you rejected the drink that was bought for you," he murmured. "So thank you."

"You're welcome," she breathed, lifting her head to look up at him. "Are you...we can go. To my house."

Derek smiled as he leaned in to kiss her forehead. "I think that's a good idea," he said, reaching down to rub her thigh gently.

"The cab should be here," Meredith said, grasping his arm as she stood. She swayed slightly, and he briefly wondered how much tequila she'd consumed before he'd arrived. But then she was biting her lower lip in the way that made her look completely seductive, and all he could think was that he need to be inside of her, and soon.