9

Thanksgiving was stupid.

That was what Meredith had decided when she'd snuck out of the house to meet Derek for breakfast before going to work. She'd been stopped by Izzie, who had some idea in her head that they all had to sit around a big table and list all the things that they were thankful for. She'd told her that she had volunteered to work on Thanksgiving, not because she didn't believe that she had anything to be thankful for, but because she didn't need a specific day to give thanks or whatever.

Besides, Derek was working today, and to her that was where she should be. He was what she was most grateful for this year, and she wanted to spend the day with him. Or as close to him as possible. So when he'd come home almost a month ago completely livid because Richard hadn't granted him Thanksgiving off, she'd just kissed him and told him that she would volunteer to work that day. And she would never forget the expression on his face when he had realized that she would be willing to work just so she could be near him. He'd been relieved and touched and...just happy. She made him happy, and that meant more to her today than any turkey dinner or stupid tradition did.

So when she pushed the door to his office open without bothering to knock and found him sitting behind his desk, his phone held up to his ear and his other hand pinching the bridge of his nose in a sure sign that he was frustrated, she couldn't help feeling disappointed.

"I know, Mom," he was saying. "You know I tried...no, I'm not a workaholic."

She hovered uncomfortably in the doorway for a moment before he looked at her, relief filling his eyes. He gestured to his couch and held up a finger, letting her know that he was almost done.

"No, I'm not alone," he said. "Meredith's here...Mom, the last thing I wanted to do was come home to see Mark showing off my ex-wife's baby....I know he's not at the house but it would be guaranteed that I would run into him...Mom, come on, of course I miss you. All of you...I would be there if I could. It's not a lie!"

Meredith sighed as she looked at him. She knew he was regretting the fact that he couldn't be with his family today, even if he was grateful to be with her. She may not have ever understood the family thing, but she did know that it was important to Derek. And having a guilt trip from his mom who was likely missing him just as much would not put him in a good mood right now.

"Mom," Derek was saying, impatience lacing his tone. "Mom...Mom...Mother! I'm really sorry that I can't be there today, but I miss you all enough as it is. If all you're going to do is make me feel guilty about spending today with Mer, then I'm going to go...I don't have an attitude, and I don't know when you'll meet her. Whenever she's ready...fine. Goodbye."

He slammed the phone down and turned to look at her, frustration clear on his face. "Hey," he greeted.

"Hi," she said, standing and moving to stand behind him to knead at his tight shoulders. "Your mom's still upset that you're not going home for Thanksgiving?"

"That feels good," he murmured as his shoulders relaxed under her touch. "I think she's still not willing to accept the fact that this is home for me now."

She smiled slightly. "Are you saying that so I'll give you sex?" she asked.

"No," he said, and she could tell he was smiling. "I'll get sex even without saying it."

"Not after that comment," she giggled, spinning his chair slightly and sliding into his lap. "Seriously, Derek, is she upset?"

"Yeah," he sighed. "I think she misses me. And none of my sisters have moved out of a two hour radius, she's used to seeing all of us whenever she wants. But now that she can't see us whenever...it's hard for her. I miss her too, but I just...she pulls the guilt trip on me, and I can't handle that."