24

"Derek," Meredith breathed as she leaned over him, her hair gently brushing his face. "Wake up."

"Early."

"Okay, you're usually the one who likes getting up early," she giggled.

"Hmmm," he sighed, rolling onto his back and frowning up at her. "Why are you dressed? It's three in the morning."

"I got paged," she shrugged. "I'll see you at the hospital."

"Fine," Derek nodded, leaning up to kiss her softly. "Be careful."

"I'll be fine," she rolled her eyes, but leaned down to kiss him again anyways. "I'll see you at Dr. Cooper's office?"

Derek smiled softly. "Of course," he said. "And we'll find out if he's really a boy."

"Ten thirty," Meredith said, smiling as his hand cupped her stomach. "Promise you'll be there?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," Derek said. "Bye buddy."

"He says bye Daddy," Meredith sighed, leaning in to kiss him again before she pulled herself off of the bed and slowly made her way towards her car. It was a quick drive to the hospital, and she made her way towards the intern locker room. Her page hadn't been urgent, but she had had a patient the day before who had been in a critical condition when she left, and she had told the nurses to page her if his condition changed at all, for good or bad.

"Oh good, you're here," her best friend's voice came from the bench beside her locker, and Meredith frowned as she turned to see Christina laying face up on the small bench.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I'm on call," Christina shrugged. "I figured I would page you in so we could study for the intern exam together."

"You...what?" Meredith frowned.

"We have to start studying," Christina shrugged, holding up a text book. "No time like the present, right?"

"You seriously dragged me out of bed so you could have a study buddy?" Meredith asked. "Christina, I need sleep."

"Like you were really sleeping," Christina rolled her eyes. "Tell McDreamy sex has to wait until the test is over."

"It's not Derek," Meredith said. "I need sleep for the..." she stopped herself before she could say anything about the baby. No one besides Bailey and the Chief knew, and she knew that Christina definitely wouldn't understand.

"For what?" Christina prompted, obviously waiting for Meredith to continue.

"Nothing," Meredith shook her head, pulling her scrubs out of her locker. They would be more comfortable to sleep in and she could sleep longer if she changed now.

"Why are you changing in the bathroom?" Christina asked.

"I just...want to," Meredith replied. Her bump could be covered by a loose fitting shirt, but without that covering it was obvious that she was pregnant.

"Whatever," Christina sighed.

Meredith changed quickly frowning when she realized that she was going to have to exchange her scrubs for a bigger size soon. Baby Shepherd was getting bigger every day.

"So what do you...holy shit."

"What?" Meredith asked as she stepped back to her locker, pretending that maybe if she was able to pretend like everything was normal, Christina wouldn't say anything.

"You're pregnant."

So much for that thought.

"Um...yeah."