26

Derek had never been this terrified in his entire life. He had watched from across the pier, completely frozen over a patient's gurney as his entire life had disappeared over edge of the dock, unable to believe that the water had consumed his fiancé and baby without letting her surface for one single moment.

It seemed like years had passed before he was sprinting across the parking lot, but he knew it was only seconds. He didn't think as he dodged gurneys, doctors, and injured ferryboat patrons, and somewhere along the way he shed his EMT jacket. He didn't see the tiny blonde girl staring out at the ocean with wide eyes or the man with the broken leg as he ran past them and dove into the water without thinking about what he was doing.

All that mattered was finding Meredith.

The salt of the water stung his eyes as he pushed himself through the water, but he kept them open, searching for any sign of Meredith. He was running out of oxygen and about to resurface for a breath of fresh air when he saw it; a flash of honey blonde hair floating slightly to his left and a few feet below him. As he moved towards her, he took in the light blue of her scrubs and the bulge of her belly where their baby was hopefully still alive.

He quickly reached down to grab her arm, tucking her into his arm as he used his other arm to pull both their weight to the surface. It was more difficult with her added weight, and when he finally reached the surface he felt his lungs finally inhale a deep, precious breath of fresh, crisp air. But he didn't take the time to enjoy it, instead dragging Meredith towards the dock and struggling only slightly to push her onto the cold wood of the dock.

He pushed himself up beside her easily, his hands moving over her skin as he tried to fight off the nausea rising in his throat. Her skin was so cold to the touch that he wasn't sure that she could possibly be alive. With complete terror running through his veins, he let a hand travel to her expand her stomach, completely panicked at the stillness that met him there.

Ethan always kicked hard whenever Derek touched Meredith's stomach.

He quickly scooped Meredith's lifeless body into his arms and moved as fast as he could towards the ambulances. Ignoring the other people waiting in line for treatment, he placed Meredith on the first available gurney he found and frantically began CPR, being careful of his son's resting place. Nothing was certain until they could get to the hospital, warm Meredith up, and perform an ultrasound. He wasn't going to stop saving them until there was absolutely no hope left.

"Dr. Shepherd, we really have a system...oh my God." Bailey's voice came from behind him, and he turned to look at her briefly before he returned his gaze to Meredith. "What happened?" she demanded, starting to move the gurney towards the ambulance as Derek continued to perform CPR.

"She fell into the water," Derek said. "I don't know...she can swim but I don't know why she didn't or couldn't. We have to save her, we have to save her and Ethan."

"Drive," Bailey ordered to the EMTs as she slammed the door shut. "Seattle Grace, right now." She turned back to Derek and watched helplessly as he frantically pumped air into Meredith's mouth.

The man was a disaster. He was sitting to Meredith's right, frantically compressing her chest as he tried to get his fiancé back to life. And Bailey, usually calm, cool, and collected, felt tears fill her eyes as her pregnant intern lay lifeless at her side, her scrubs soaked and her skin freezing.

Just as they were slowing down and approaching the hospital, what seemed like the impossible happened. Meredith's head jolted forward, and she began to cough, water spilling out of her mouth. She was visibly shaking as she tried to move her arms and legs, but Derek held her still, leaning over her.