2

"Remember the rules," Meredith demanded as she handed him a thermos of coffee, taking a bagel in return.

"No relationship stuff at work," Derek rolled his eyes. "I know."

"Good," she said.

"I don't know why you're obsessing over this," he commented as they made their way towards the door.

"I'm not obsessing," she rolled her eyes. "But no one knows. And no one will know, because then I'm the slutty intern sleeping with the attending."

"Okay," Derek sighed. "But why can't be drive in together?"

"Because people will see," Meredith replied. "And...because I'm mad at you."

"Mad at me?" Derek frowned. "What the hell did I do?"

"You made us late," Meredith replied. "If you hadn't been all naked and...whatever this morning we wouldn't be late right now."

"I was just getting in the shower," Derek shrugged innocently. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Right, you always get in the shower with a hard on like that," Meredith rolled her eyes.

"It's not my fault you can't resist my manliness," Derek laughed.

"Shut up and go to work," she rolled her eyes as she opened the back door to her jeep, trying to balance her cup of coffee as she tossed her bag in.

"Hey," Derek appeared behind her, turning her gently to press a kiss to her lips. "I'll see you there."

"Have a good day," she murmured against his lips.

"You too," he said, and then with one more kiss he was gone, in his own car driving towards the hospital.

She shook her head as she got into her own car, following him the short distance to the hospital. She waited until he was in the building to get out of her car, hating the fact that it felt like she was avoiding him. She knew it was worth it, and the last thing she needed was anyone knowing about their relationship. Christina already knew and probably hated her for it, and she didn't want to make any more enemies.

When she arrived at the locker room after stopping at the coffee cart, she was surprised to see George and Izzie already dressed, pacing the room impatiently.

"There she is!" George cried the second she walked in the door.

"Me?" she asked, stepping back as George and Izzie moved closer to her.

"Meredith, George drove by your house yesterday," Izzie said.

"He did?" she asked, her heart pounding. "You did?" Derek was going to have to start parking his car down the street and walking. She didn't care if it rained all the time, that should be what he got for being an idiot.

"It's really big," George said. "And nice. It's a really nice, big house."

"Thanks?" Meredith offered, wondering where this was going.

"And big nice houses must be pretty expensive to keep up," Izzie said.

There it was.

"It's my mother's," Meredith shrugged, pushing past them to open her locker.

"Does she live there?" George frowned.

"No," Meredith shook her head. "She's...traveling."

"So you don't know what it feels like to live with your mother," George said. "I need out of that place. My mom irons my scrubs. My scrubs."