A New Year

January 1931. New York. Somewhere in Little Italy.

Charlie was checking a juicy red apple to make sure it was undamaged, when someone bumped into her, and she nearly dropped it. She tightened her grip on the apple and turned her head to see who it was as a familiar voice said:

"Sorry, ma'am."

Charlie was surprised. She was facing a young man around her own age who had curly dark-brown hair, warm brown eyes, and a friendly smile. She was looking at none other than her childhood friend, Joseph Marino.

"Joe?"

"Charlie?"

He looked equally surprised, but then he smiled broadly and pulled her into a hug.

"It is you!"

He was ecstatic to see her.

Charlie was happy to see him too. She grinned as he let her go and asked:

"What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you. You sent me that post card two years ago, and then not a peep since. I got worried."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to worry you. But I didn't think Myrtle would appreciate you receiving letters from another woman. I thought it might cause trouble for you. She's always been the jealous type."

Charlie smiled a bit sheepishly as she apologized.

"Ah, Myrtle. Who cares what she thinks."

"You broke up, huh?"

"Yeah, but even if we hadn't, I'd still rather have a proper letter from you. Who needs peace anyway? You know you've always been my favorite girl."

"There you go again."

Charlie smiled wryly. Joe was always teasing her like that.

"So how've you been? What've you been doing with yourself?"

"I could ask you those same questions."

The fruit seller cleared his throat. "Are you gonna buy the apple or not?"

Charlie realized a line had begun to form behind her.

"Oh, sorry."

She quickly picked out three more apples and paid for all four.

"I guess we should find somewhere else to talk."

Joe was looking around for another place to chat as he said this.

"Come on, I know a good cafe."

Joe followed Charlie to a nice little cafe that was in Gandor territory. The owner recognized her immediately.

"Ah, Miss Charlie. The usual?"

"Yes, please."

Charlie gave the owner a polite smile and turned to Joe.

"What'll you have?" she asked Joe.

"Just plain black for me, thanks."

"Miss Charlie, can I ask who this is?"

The owner had seen her with the Gandor brothers before, and he could tell from the way Luck looked at her that she was special to him. This new man seemed like trouble.

"Oh, this is my childhood friend, Joe Marino."

"Childhood friend, huh? Well, I suppose that's okay..."

"Thanks for your approval," Joe said wryly.

Charlie and Joe paid for their cappuccino and black coffee and sat at one of the small tables outside. Joe started from where they left off: