Bridesmaids

Charlie placed the order for her bouquet and flowers for the bridesmaids and church, and got ready to perform without a moment to spare. She very nearly was late for opening when she arrived at Coraggioso. Charlie smiled at Luck when she saw him and took her place at the piano.

Charlie couldn't wait to tell Luck about everything she had decided on for their wedding (except the lingerie, which was a surprise; she had paid for that with her own money).

Fortunately, time seemed to fly, and soon the customers were leaving, and the jazz hall was closing up.

When Charlie came up to him, Luck could tell she was bursting to tell him something. It wasn't hard to guess what.

"How was it?"

"We took care of everything except booking the band, getting favors for the guests, and picking out the bridesmaids' dresses. The cake is from Esposito's. It's a millefoglie. And the food will be from Angelo's."

"That was fast. And you made good choices. I knew leaving it up to you was the right thing to do. I'll take care of booking the band. I know exactly who to call."

"So how much did all of this cost?" Berga asked.

"Uh, well... you'll see when you get the bills. I apologize in advance."

"That bad, huh?" Luck asked wryly.

"Well, it seemed like a lot to me, but Mrs. Kate and Mrs. Kalia said I got a good price on everything."

"Then you probably did."

"Yeah, they know how much everything costs from their own weddings."

"So when can I see you wearing your wedding dress?"

"At the wedding. It's bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding."

"You know that, Luck."

"I don't believe in that superstition."

"Better safe than sorry. One of my friends didn't believe in it either. She showed off her dress to her future husband, and the restaurant that was going to cater the wedding was shut down for food poisoning and the bakery they were getting their cake from burned down."

"Wait, this wouldn't be Joe's bakery?"

"The same."

"So you're saying his bakery burned down because of someone else's bad luck?" Berga asked.

"It is quite a coincidence. The Marinos were always very careful about that sort of thing, and yet..."

"Okay, fine. We won't tempt fate."

"Thank you."

—∞—

"In Chinese culture, red is often worn at weddings. It's the color of happiness," Lia said as they looked through the dresses at a certain department store the next day.

"Red would look good on you, but I think it would clash with Ennis' hair."

"Ah, that's true."

"Is there any color that won't clash with her hair?" Seina asked.

"Maybe a purple or navy blue..."

"Um... if it's causing a problem, I can—"

"I want you there, Ennis."

"I-I see."

That made Ennis happy.

"Then, I don't mind wearing whatever color you pick."