New Beginnings

Alveare.

"I guess he wasn't so bad after all," Firo said about Joe, who had just left.

"What'd you tell him to make him leave all peaceful-like?" Pezzo asked.

"Sorry, but that's between me and him," Charlie said.

"Oh, come on, we're dying to know," Randy said. "You could at least put us out of our misery."

"Get used to disappointment."

Charlie gave them a Mona Lisa smile.

"So merciless," Pezzo said, shaking his head. "I don't know what you and that guy see in her, Luck," he teased.

"Well, she has her good points, too," Luck said, smiling at Charlie.

"Oh, like what?" she asked a little impishly.

"You're kind. You're smart. You never stay down for long. You can sing and play the piano like a dream. Oh, yes. And you're beautiful."

As Luck spoke, Charlie blushed, and her cheeks became redder and redder.

"Oh, look at you."

"Ha-ha, your cheeks are as red as apples!"

Randy and Pezzo grinned as they teased her.

"What are you getting all shy for?" Firo asked. "Other people have told you stuff like that before."

"I guess it's different when it comes from the one you love," Maiza said, smiling.

"Wait till the others hear about this," Randy said. "They'll tease you mercilessly."

"Oh, great," Charlie said dryly.

"Try not to tease her too much," Luck said.

"No promises," Ronny said, smirking.

Charlie began to feel a sense of doom.

"You look tired," Luck observed. "I'll take you home."

"Yeah, I bet you will," Randy said, grinning.

"It's not like that," Charlie said, her cheeks going even redder. "Goodnight. See you tomorrow," she said shortly and turned to leave.

"Goodnight," Luck told the other men. "And thanks, Firo."

"No problem," Firo said. He was glad they were finally together. He hoped they would be happy.

"It's about time those two got together," Randy said as Luck and Charlie left.

"Yeah. I guess the trouble with Joe forced him to stop dragging his feet," Pezzo said.

"Think it'll last?" Randy asked.

"I think they'll be all right," Maiza said. He had seen a lot of couples over the years.

"As long as they have each other," Ronny agreed. "Well, no matter."

—∞—

Charlie stood in the open doorway of the apartment she shared with Lia to say goodbye to Luck.

"Well, goodnight."

She blushed a little anticipating the kiss he would give her.

"Goodnight."

Luck leaned down and gave her a passionate kiss. She put her arms around him, and he held her as she pressed herself against him and deepened the kiss. Luck really wanted to have her, but he knew it was too soon. They had only just gotten together.

"Ahem."

Charlie and Luck kept kissing.

"Ahem!"

Someone cleared their throat loudly, and Luck and Charlie stopped kissing to see who it was. It was the neighbor three doors down from them, Mrs. Henderson. Mrs. Henderson was an elderly lady with keen, piercing eyes that could make a battle-hardened soldier sweat, and she was frowning at them with disapproval for their enthusiastic public display of affection.

Charlie blushed out of embarrassment, but she wondered what Mrs. Henderson was doing peeking out of her door like that at that time. Normally she would be in bed. It was just her luck that she would get caught the one night the old woman couldn't sleep.

Even Luck found the old woman's penetrating stare unnerving. Why did he suddenly feel like he was back in school being scolded for some wrongdoing?

Charlie and Luck let go of each other, standing a more appropriate distance apart.

Satisfied that she had interrupted them and sufficiently embarrassed them, Mrs. Henderson nodded to herself, pulled her head back into her apartment, and closed the door.

"Who was that?"

"Mrs. Henderson."

Charlie sighed.

"What just happened will be all over the apartment tomorrow."

"Does that bother you?"

"It bothers me that she gossips about me, but I guess I don't really mind other people knowing..."

Luck smiled. He liked that she didn't mind other people knowing she was with him, but they should probably be more careful in the future to protect her reputation. "You like Chinese food, right?"

"Yes?"

"You know, one of the men told me about a new Chinese restaurant that's supposed to be really good."

"Oh, Lia told me about one, too. Is it called the Golden Dragon?"

"That's the one. How about we go check it out together?"

"I'd like that. When?"

"How about tomorrow at lunch?"

That way it shouldn't interfere with her playing for the Martillos.

"It's a date."

Luck smiled.

"Goodnight, Charlie."

Charlie smiled, too.

"Goodnight."

Luck turned away from her and left.

—∞—

"So, judging by the grin on your face, everything went well," Berga said when Luck arrived back at Coraggioso to help them close up.

"You could say that. Joe is gone, and I'm taking Charlie on a date tomorrow."

"How is he gone? Did you...?"

"No. Charlie got rid of him."

"That's good. So there's no doubt she picked you over him, then."

"......"

Keith was pleased for his younger brother.

"Where are you taking her?" Berga asked.

"That new Chinese restaurant. Golden Dragon."

"Chinese, huh? That's an unusual choice for a first date. Then again, Charlie's an unusual girl."