Chapter thirty two: Someone's watching

The line connected and I heard Adams' breathing on the other end.

"Miss Brooks, need I remind you, again, that I'm not in charge of your check-ins. It's this man named Jovan Hues. I'm almost certain you have met him. Goodbye." I gripped the phone tightly as if it would block him from hanging up on the call.

"No, wait, wait, wait!" I got up from the bed and tip-toed across the room, closing the bedroom door so my voice wouldn't be audible to Nix, Kaleb or Dhurv.

He sighed, "I'm not raising your monthly paychecks. Goodbye." Gosh! He was so infuriating! Not everyone was about pay checks and check-ins!

"Stop." I whispered. "I called you because..." I hesitated.

"Because what? No Amir, we're going to need a larger team than that." He must be at a meeting right now. Why would he answer the phone though? Generally all the agents, especially the head agent were supposed to keep distractions away.

"Sir, is the phone on speaker mode?" I asked.

He went silent.

A few seconds later he spoke, "No... why?"

"Okay look, I could be paranoid but I just have a bad feeling."

Again he went silent. Then I heard him excusing himself and a chair scratching against the floor. It sounded like he was leaving the briefing room.

I waited for a few minutes. Maybe he had left?

"Agent Adams?" No answer. "H-hello?"

"I'm back. What type of bad feeling?"

I took a deep breath in, trying not to completely freak out. " Okay, so um, Nix mentioned something the other day that's been on the back of my mind. Are there other reptilians out there who could be looking for us?"

That actually wasn't what I wanted to ask him but I did have the gift of verbal diarrhea.

Again he went silent for a few seconds. "What? This is what you called me for? I was in the middle of a meeting and you broke me away from it to ask your silly questions." I was going to cry. Why did he have to treat me like an idiot? He's the one who put us on a plane to Florida with a mad woman as out caretaker. I had every right to ask 'silly' questions and receive answers.

"I saw a woman watching me through my bedroom window. She stood in the cemetery and watched me with a pair of binoculars." My voice began growing irritated. "Just ten minutes ago, I'm positive I saw her right outside the kitchen window. She may not be a reptilian but then explain to me who she is. It's not normal to have people peeping into your house, especially with binoculars!" My voice had risen as I had been talking. Gosh. I couldn't do this anymore, I was constantly filled with anxiety, every single minute of the day! I felt confined. First my home was taken away from me, my friends and now even my fake friends I couldn't meet. I had to spend everyday stuck at home with the old hag who also couldn't bother to spare me. It was all too much.

"Describe this woman."

I kept my tone down and tried picturing the woman's description, "I didn't see her face really but she had curly, light brown hair. Actually it could've been a guy too now that I think about it. They were wearing baggy jeans and a light hoodie and a cap. Her-him, whatever, their faces were hidden." He didn't say anything but I could hear him sigh on the other end.

"And how tall do you think they were? And what about their build."

"Like I said, they were wearing baggy clothes so it was hard to tell and I only saw them for a few seconds. As for the height, probably around average." Why was he so interested in the description? Who cares? But then it clicked. "Is there someone you know? Someone who might be following Nix and I?"