Summer: Day 2

Summer: Day 2

Mack's POV:

Today was Sunday. In more specific terms, the night Zachariah is supposed to take me to a college party. Am I prepared? No. But will I make an impression? Absolutely. Just hopefully not a bad impression.

When I took a shower today, I shaved and washed my hair, not only once but twice. Safety precautions of course. And my skincare routine took about an hour long of even toning processes and lymphatic massages so that my cheekbones appear more defined than they actually are. Maybe I went overboard, but the last time Zach saw me I looked like a train wreck.

When the doorbell rings, I give myself a once over in the mirror and feel flustered. I don't normally wear dresses, and the only one I own is the one I'm currently standing in; from my sixteenth birthday last year. My mom bought it for me in hopes I'd wear it, but I never did—and my body has changed since then, so the black material is a lot tighter than I would've preferred.

The matching black heels I borrowed from my mom click down the stairs as I make my way to the door. Taking in a deep breath, I turn the knob and can only hope that I don't look like a red tomato.

The door opens to reveal a very tall, very relaxed, and a very hot Zachariah leaning up against the doorway. He has on a plain white button down and blue-washed jeans, his hands are in his pockets, and a very bored expression is plastered on his face. He's so tall, I have to crane my neck up to meet his gaze.

When he averts his eyes from the ground, he slowly takes me in. His observant eyes dance around my figure from my high heels to my dress to my face, and then he clears his throat.

I smile nervously under his gaze. "Hi." My voice sounds small and timid before I suck in my lower lip and nibble on it.

His eyes follow my actions and I might be imagining things, but I'm pretty sure he gulps. "Hey, Mackenzie. Ready to go?"

I nod and slip out the front door, locking it behind me. When we reach his car, a white Range Rover to be more exact, I slide into the passenger seat. Buckling in, I say, "I don't understand how you can afford this kind of car and go to college."

Silently, as if he didn't want to admit it, he says, "My dad." And that's the only explanation I need. Of course it'd be his father, the head of Montgomery Hotels—Zachariah's only gateway to wealth.

My jaw clenches and I look out the window. "I still can't believe you talk to that jerk."

He starts the car, hitting his hand on the steering wheel passive-aggressively. "Yeah, well not everyone can be as judgemental as you."

"Zachariah Lane Montgomery, I'm about to get out of this car," I threaten, speaking slowly. Man's already getting on my nerves.

He sighs and hits the steering wheel again, this time in defeat. "I'm sorry. Just—can we please not talk about my dad right now?"

"Fine with me."

After a few seconds, he nods. "Thank you."

"So why am I here?" I turn to face him as the car turns down multiple streets, heading towards the freeway. Everything is lit by the full moon cascading down from the sky, including his pearly white teeth that show as he opens his mouth to speak.

"You're going as my date," he states, acting so nonchalant and smug that I'm not sure I hear him correctly. All until he drops a bomb; "More specifically, my girlfriend."

My eyes bulge out of their sockets and my mouth drops wide-open, causing him to laugh. Clamping it shut, I close my eyes and resort to a simple, "Okay."