Chapter 8

It didn't take long to reach the creek George was searching for, fifteen minutes tops. It only took three for him to rinse his hands, so he also wet his hair and lower arms as a refresher. Believe it or not, sleeping on the ground wasn't the most comfortable thing in the world, and he was still abnormally tired. Although, the warmth from having Dream right next to him was a perk.

Once he was certain that he'd got the majority of residue off his hands, he decided to go back. The brunet wasn't sure that he wanted to, as there was a chance that Dream was awake and he didn't want to risk the blond's wrath if so. But, he went back anyway, it was only fair to Dream's heart, after all.

The walk back was more of a jog, and he got to the clearing where their camp was set up in two thirds of the original time. Dream, of course, was awake, and as soon as he saw George he leaped up from his seat by their jackets.

"George!" he yelled, taking two long strides and meeting George in the middle. He crushed the brunet in a bear hug, lifting him up off the ground. "You scared me! Don't ever do that again! Where did you go? Are you hurt? What happened?"

"Dream!" George giggled. "Put me down, I'm fine. I went to that creek to wash off after touching that thing."

"Why would you touch it?!" Dream wheezed.

"Samples," he answered plainly, reaching into his pocket and holding out the plastic container of zombie slime for Dream to see. "I guess I forgot to tell you that I'm a scientist, huh?"

"Um, yeah I think you left that part out."

The blond looked intrigued. He delicately took the container from George's palm, holding it and turning it over with his finger and thumb as he studied what was inside. He looked back at the brunet, tilting his head slightly. George didn't know what exactly he was doing, or what he was looking at.

"Let me guess," he spoke at last. "You're studying zombies. And you're trying to find a cure."

George froze, hands immediately clenching into fists and his jaw locking as his eyes remained wide. He didn't say anything, but Dream could see his reaction and most likely could come up with an answer.

"Look, I don't know what you're not telling me, and I'm sure you have your reasons. But, the truth, whatever it may be, will come out. It always does, after all. Especially when it's me who wants to do the finding. I'm good at my job, George, and finding things that aren't exactly common knowledge is one of them."

George rolled his eyes at the cocky blond, choosing to simply ignore him. The brunet attempted to step around him, but Dream grabbed his arm, firmly yet not squeezing hard enough to hurt him. George glared up at him, trying to yank his arm free, but Dream didn't budge. Finally George gave in.

"Okay, I get it. You're so great and you're gonna find out my secret, blah blah blah. Can I get something to eat now?" George mocked.

"Better. Go ahead."

At last, the grip was broken and George went over to Dream's bag, digging around in it quickly until his fingers found the smooth wrapper of the granola bar he'd been searching for. As soon it was out of the bag and the plastic had been peeled back, it was in George's stomach.

Dream stood nearby awkwardly, watching the hungry boy with cautious curiosity. He looked almost confused, eyebrow folded inwards where it would meet its partner if not for the mask. His lips were back in a line, though slowly it creeped up into a smirk, and by the time George was done eating, a full smile.

"When was the last time you ate?" he teased.

"Like, earlier yesterday?" George commented, not really caring about Dream's jokes.