Chapter 32

Hannah looked back and forth between the two in the room, who were unresponsive due to shock. That didn't last long when Punz pulled out his gun and aimed it at Hannah, who pulled out her own. George stood off to the side, scared out of his mind and unsure of what to do.

The two were locked in a stale mate, neither wanting to be the first to shoot.

"Punz, what do you think you're doing? You're ruining everything," Hannah muttered with venom in her tone. She spared a quick glance at George that lasted a fraction of a second, not daring to take the risk of looking for longer.

George's entire life went by in the time that they both sat there, unmoving, guns locked and loaded. The brunet was frozen in place. Should he go for Hannah? Should he try and get the gun away from her? Both of those options would most likely result in him getting shot, so he ruled against them.

But then, what was gonna happen?

~~~

Dream was by the door of the lab, standing guard once again while Boomer worked on the safe. He'd tried several combinations so far: various birthdays and other important dates, as well as ages and names. None that he'd tried thus far had worked, but still he tried.

The blond was anxious, just as he usually was without George, but this time for different reasons too. He was scared for himself, for once. He'd seen what these people were capable of, and was fearful that they'd do whatever it took to assure their plan happened. If they were willing to kill George's best friend, they were definitely willing to kill his lover.

"Got it!" Boomer cheered triumphantly.

Dream looked to him, seeing the younger standing with the bottle of the orange liquid between his thumb and forefinger.

"Sweet! Now let's get out of here."

Boomer followed him out the door and together they ran back down the hall, trying to be quiet. Dream didn't know his way around the building, so he had to resort to waiting behind Boomer, something that stressed him out. He liked to take the lead, but he couldn't then.

They quickly descended the stairs back down to the third floor, where George's room was. Adrenaline surged through the blond's veins as he got a second wind of sorts. They had a chance again and it was glaringly obvious to anyone that was looking. A week and three days ago, Dream had taken on a random clients job of being transported from Tallahassee to Raleigh. Back then, he would've slapped someone if they told him where he'd be now.

George had changed everything. Even with their current circumstances, Dream believed it was for the better. So much had changed in such a brief time: it was almost this was some strange book that George and Dream were the stars of. Some might say they were the main characters. But the question was, would it be romance? Or would it end as a tragedy.

"Stop!" Hannah's voice called from down the hall, ripping Dream out of his thoughts.

The blonds skidded to a halt, slowly turning around with their hands in the air. She had a gun in her right hand, and in her left she held a walkie talkie. A glare was present on her face, directed towards her brother in particular. She looked disgusted, like she couldn't believe that he would do something like this. It was funny to Dream, in an ironically disturbing type of way.

"First Punz, and now you. George is turning you both into traitors, and I don't stand by traitors. Even if you are my brother, I won't spare you if you follow through with this, Boomer. Now, who's side are you going to take? These strangers who want to help the monsters among us? Or your sister, who is trying to do what's right and snuff out this virus before it snuffs us out."