Chapter 19

He couldn't move; he couldn't breathe; he couldn't stay awake. He was on the brink of unconsciousness due to the overwhelming sense of pressure of having the much heavier man crushing him. Every time he tried to wriggle his way out from underneath, nothing happened because he couldn't use his arms.

They were at such an awkward position that was starting to hurt his shoulders badly, and his chest could barely move up and down enough to get the normal amount of air to his lungs. He was still out of breath from the running and there was no way this was healthy.

Suddenly, the weight was ripped off and George was moved onto his back. Then he was being held gently by strong arms that were loose and allowed him to breathe again; his head was rested against the broad shoulder of the person in question. He was finally, completely rid of the zombie smell, his nose instead filled with the smell that he'd associated with Dream.

"Are you hurt, princess?" he murmured, running his hand through George's brown hair.

George was shaking badly, but he shook his head. He snuggled deeper into the taller's touch, which only made the blond hold him tighter. He rocked them back and forth gently, allowing George to catch his breath and calm down.

"I shouldn't have left," George whispered, trying to hold back tears. "I should've just told you the real reason I did all this, but I was just scared. None of this should have happened, I am so sorry Dream."

"Shhh. It's okay. You're okay. I'm okay. All that matters it that you're safe now."

"Only because of you. They wanted the cure, Dream."

Dream raised an eyebrow. George slowly uncurled his fist to reveal the small vial of the cure that started this entire thing. Dream's eyes widened as his brain processed what it was, and his mouth open in shock. It was nothing but clear liquid with a slightly orange tint, but it was one of the most important things in the entire world.

"Is that... have you had that this entire time?!" Dream exclaimed, placing his hand in George's to feel the bottle, as if it would feel different than any normal glass container of liquid.

"I have. I haven't been truthful with you, Dream. I thought it would be better that way, but it wasn't and I'm sorry. But I'm telling you now. I'm going to tell you everything, from the time that the outbreak first happened, to the day that I left Tallahassee."

Dream didn't say anything. He stared at George expectantly, refusing to let the brunet leave his arms. He was just so worried when he came back to discover George gone... he had messed up badly by letting his emotions get the best of him and allow him to leave George unprotected. He wouldn't do that again, regardless of what this conversation unveiled.

"So, the day I found the cure was any normal day. I had just been with Wilbur in the hospital and it was clear that he was steadily losing hope as the days went on. His family never visited him: I guess it was just too hard, though I think that's pretty selfish of them.

"Anyway, he was losing his spirit, and I just became evermore so desperate to help him. I went straight from the hospital to the lab, where I spent all night endlessly searching.

"I spent a fair portion of the following day there, as well. But, I did it. I tested it on the zombie rat we had, and I discovered that I'd finally done it, after so many years. Immediately after, I went home so I could tell my father. But before I could go into his office, I overheard him on the phone with his advisor... and he told him what his real plans were for the cure.

"I didn't want to believe it, I denied it for so long before making the decision to leave. Deep down, everyone wants their parents to be good people, because no matter what we'll always love them. The ones who raised us, anyways. It's a bond, a connection, a relationship unlike that of any other, and no one wants to face the truth if it happens to be so. I was one of them, but I figured out what I wanted to do fairly quick."