𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐝.

━ ( endgame fixit + no way home spoilers ! ) in which tony feels as if something is wrong within the reality he lives in

Tony didn't understand what was so off with his recent days.

Every night, the somewhat-what retired hero would wake up in a cold sweat, eyes wide as a familiar but foreign nightmare played in his head like a broken cassette tape. The word 'kid' on his lips every night felt as if it belonged to someone. The nightmare was horrible, taking place on a distant planet from his home, everyone around him dusting from a single snap from a tyrant's fingers.

The nightmare was always muddled and blurred, like a dying light. He recalls repeating a name over and over, reassuring whoever it was that they were going to be okay, only for them to faintly apologize and disappear from his trembling arms. It left an uncomfortable, tearing feeling in his heart that never left. Curiosity lit a fire in himself to figure out who this kid was, why they felt like a big part of himself, even though he has never met any other children other than Morgan and Harley.

Everyone around him felt that a very specific absence was missing from their home.

His beloved wife, Pepper, always by his side in the lowest of nights, rubs his back comfortingly and presses tender kisses to his forehead, and even though Tony is thankful, the absence in his heart never leaves. Something, someone, was missing from his home. He could feel it within himself. Something was out of place, but he couldn't pin what it was.

They see a new vigilante on the news, swinging from building to building in a red and blue spandex.

The chaos wrecked around the statue of liberty is on the news for weeks, where the man in spandex is seen blurrily fighting enemies not from their world ━ or universe. The battle is plastered on papers and magazines, showing three different men in similar, colour-coded spandex, kicking ass of the villains that terrorized their world. To say the remaining avengers were impressed was understatement.

The vigilante, despite being 'new' to the hero world, seemed awfully experienced and smart about what he was doing. But there was something about the masked man that the team couldn't place their finger on.

Steve says they seem kind as the news broadcast the new hero dubbed as 'SPIDERMAN' feeding lost ducks in the middle of a busy street, trying to get them across the road from the inpatient drivers. There's a feeling inside both heroes as they watch, one they couldn't describe as they observed the vigilante plop every duck into a lake.

The nightmares go on for what feels like forever.

Every night is a different one. This time, Tony is sitting in his lab, laughing with someone that's glued to his side like an eager child, fiddling with explosive and sparking tech. He briefly sees brown curls and pale skin, fixing a small, mechanical device that curls just right around their wrist. Everything passes in a flash, and Tony finds himself alone, seat cold and far. There's no giggly teen beside him, no messy tools scattered like autumn leaves on the ground, instead the lingering absence remains.