Chapter 16

Matt's POV: Once Maggie finished getting our food out for us, I smiled when I went to grab the wrap and salad that I specifically ordered for myself. Call me a health freak but...I have started to eat healthier recently. However one thing I am sure of...I am not getting a "dad bod" anytime soon. Heck, I may even start working out with Severide more. That reminds me, I wonder if I am stuck with Antonio as the godfather or if she would be open to Severide as the godfather? Might as well ask after I start eating. "Thanks again for this Maggie." Maggie nodded and smiled.

"I will be back later okay?" I nodded and agreed with her when she said that before watching as she closed the door for us. I then smiled at Gabby while going to grab my drink. "To us and getting married again." Gabby smiled and agreed with me as she hit her cup against mine. I then went to wrap my arm around her and just smiled as I went to kiss her softly. "I love you and I promise we are forever this time." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "Yes, we are. Now listen...just eat and then we can talk more. I missed talking to you in person."

I smiled when she said that. "Maybe something we can talk about is who we are going to pick for godparents for our son?" Gabby just laughed when I said that. "That's obvious. It's going to be Antonio and Stella." I looked at her when she said that. "You are going to pick Stella but not Severide?" Gabby sighed and looked at me. "Listen, me picking Antonio is not debatable. I know you think it is but...it's not." I sighed when she said that. "So much for not starting our marriage the same way we ended our last one." Gabby then looked at me. "Okay, hear me out."

I nodded when she said that. "I promised my brother when he made me Diego and Eva's godmother that we would be godparents to each other's kids. Therefore, there is no other option for godfather. Matt, I made this promise to him before we met. So...I can't back out. Plus, you already knew this the minute you learned I was pregnant. Plus, I want to just make you think about something..." I nodded when she said that. "If we die, who do you want to take care of our kids? Antonio or Severide?" Looking at Gabby when she asked me that, I got a little scared.

"Okay, Antonio it is." Gabby just laughed and smiled. "Babe, I know that's what drove us apart last time...don't think I don't realize that okay? I am well aware that me making decisions for us led to us getting divorced." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she said that. "Yes, that was the truth. But one of the benefits of being remarried to the person that you were married to before...is that you know where you went wrong the last time. And then this time, we aren't going to make the same mistakes." Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "At least we are going to try and not make the same mistakes." I nodded and sighed when she said that.

"I promise the same okay." Gabby nodded and agreed with me. "And we are also going to have fun. Matt, promise me that we are going to take time off every once and a while. We work too much. We need to take time for ourselves every once and a while. Maybe we can book a week off every couple months...and go to Puerto Rico together with Matteo? Get away from Chicago and just explore the world. Now, I am not saying during the pandemic but..." I just nodded and agreed with her. "I understand, you don't want to be stuck here the entire time." Gabby agreed. "Matt, you have to idea how great it felt to be in Puerto Rico..." I nodded when she said that.

"Want to talk about it?" Gabby bit her lip but nodded. "Do you mind?" I smiled. "I would love to hear about your time there babe. Gabby, I want to just say that I regret not going. I should have went okay? I'm your husband, I love you and the truth of the matter is that you are my home. You are where I feel the most at home. Gabby, you are my rock, my anchor and my forever. Please do not think that I am going to let you out of my life every again." Gabby smiled and agreed with me when I said that. "God, you are such a sweet talker." I smiled and agreed with her when she said that. "So, how many schools did you get done? Or was it homes?"

Gabby laughed when I asked her that and just smiled at her. "You have no idea what I worked on did you?" I sighed and just looked at her. "I am sorry babe, I guess I forgot." Gabby nodded when I said that. "I worked on a bunch of projects." I nodded and agreed with her before leaning in and going to kiss her softly. "Right of course." Gabby just nodded and agreed with me when I heard a knock at the door. Turning my head, I saw it was Dr. Halstead. "Sorry to disturb you guys on your wedding day but...I would like to just check on your recovery." I agreed with him.

"Uhm, any dealings with patients who are COVID-positive today?" Will shook his head. "I am not in that ER. I am in the normal ER. Anybody who is presenting with COVID symptoms or who has tested positive is in our dedicated COVID ER." I nodded and agreed with him. "Can you still wear a mask? I am sorry Will, it's just..." Will nodded and agreed as he went to grab his mask and put it on. He then walked into our room and smiled as he walked over to me. "How are you feeling? Congratulations again on you guys getting married. Jay also sends his congrats."

Gabby smiled and agreed with him. "By the way, what's with him being engaged using the same ring that you gave to Natalie?" Will just shook his head. "Ask your husband that. Apparently, Jay didn't learn from Antonio's mistake." I looked at him when he said that. "Seriously? Jay made you take part in an investigation right around the time of your wedding? Sorry, we all heard what happened...paramedics at 51 are great at getting gossip at Med. I mean, that's what I have been told." Gabby just laughed and shook her head when I said that. "How long am I stuck here doc?"

Will sighed when I asked him that. "I want to keep you here for a week. I know you already had your surgery when you first got here but...since this isn't the first time you've been shot, I want to monitor you. And I also want to monitor you after you had those head problems again after you got hit by that car." Gabby then turned to look at me. "Uhm, car accident last year?" I bit my lip when she said that. "On the job, guy hit me." Gabby shook her head when I said that. "Okay, well at least you are okay. Did you take an MRI recently?" Will sighed. "I want to do another."

Gabby nodded and agreed with Will when he said that. "And we will, right babe?" I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she said that. "Of course we will." Gabby just smiled and nodded when I said that, moving to kiss my cheek as we held each other close. "I love you." I nodded and agreed with her when she said that. "But other than that...I am all good?" Will nodded and smiled when he asked me that. "Yeah, you are. Now you just relax and I will be back later. However, I am still going to keep you here for a while." I agreed with him as he left our room.

Going to grab my hand, Gabby looked at me. "Any other health problems you have had recently that you want to tell me about?" I shook my head when Gabby as me that. "No, I am good Gabby....I promise." Gabby nodded when I said that and just smiled as she came to cuddle up to me again. Wrapping my arm around her, I smiled as I went to put my hand on her stomach and then went to kiss her forehead softly. "I still can't believe we are having a baby in a couple months." Gabby laughed and agreed with me when I said that before rubbing her stomach.

Continuing to eat the lunch that Maggie got for us, I just smiled as I went to kiss the top of Gabby's head while holding each other close. However before we could get comfortable...we were disturbed again when my phone vibrated. Going to grab it, I saw it was a text from my sister. 

'What's this about you getting married without me being there....AGAIN!' -Christie

I just sighed when I read that and then went to look at Gabby. "Hey, you ever meet my sister?" Gabby bit her lip. "I think once as friends." I nodded when she said that. "What do you say we call her?" Gabby nodded and agreed with me when I said that. "Get your iPad and we can call her. We can also tell her that she's going to be Auntie Christie." I nodded and agreed with Gabby when she said that, reaching over to grab my iPad so that we could call my sister.