Chapter 14

He has a gun. Be careful, he has a gun.

I run into the grocery store, completely unnoticed by the large, intimidating man who holds a gun pointed at a small girl with fiery red curls for hair. "Give me the money or I'll shoot the girl!" He shouts in the cashier's face. The poor girl is whimpering in terror as the woman I assume to be her mother stands helpless beside her.

It's a robbery. I've dealt with a robbery before. Though last time, a gun wasn't involved... I need to get the gun from him. How can I get it out of his hand?

Then an idea sparks to life. I flick my fingers, creating electricity, but trying to keep it from being overly powerful; I'm still unsure of the damage this power can do, so I'm always careful when I use it. With lightning in my left hand, I speed to the thief, clamping the electrified hand onto his wrist and reaching for the gun with my other hand.

"Ah!" The man screams, loosening his grip on the weapon. I proceed to take the gun from his hand. His other arm swings around for a punch, which I duck down to dodge with ease. Then I fly up to the ceiling where he can't reach me.

"Get down here and fight like a man, coward!" He yells.

"But I'm not a man," I sass, sending a gust of wind at him that catches him off guard. He stumbles backwards into a newspaper stand, knocking a few papers to the floor. I lower myself to the ground and create lightning in both hands. I may be cautious when it comes to using lightning as an attack, but it works pretty well to intimidate criminals at least.

The criminal backs away toward the door and I follow him, slowly forcing him in that direction. Police lights flash outside as two cars pull into the parking lot and a few officers hurry out. They burst into the store, guns pointed in front of them.

"Freeze!" An officer shouts. The thief halts where he is.

Another officer comes my way, his gun raised.

Great, now they think I'm a criminal.

I extinguish the lightning and raise my hands up, planning an escape in my mind.

Before I make a move out the door, a small voice speaks up. "No, mister, she's the good guy!" The officer and I both turn to see the little red head running toward me.

"It's true," the cashier pipes in. "She stopped the thief from robbing me."

The police officer lowers his gun as the little girl wraps her arms around my legs in an attempt to give me a hug. I crouch down to hug her back. The girl couldn't be any more than five years old. "What's your name, sweetie?"

"Camie! Thank you for saving me!"

"You're welcome, Camie." I smile as the adorable girl rejoins her mother.

"Wait a minute," a third officer says, walking toward me. "You stopped that robbery I investigated at Casey's last week."

I nod, vaguely recognizing the officer from that day.

"Well, I don't know who you are, but I respect what you are doing for this town. You stopped the tornado on Tuesday?"

I nod again as he reaches down to pick up a fallen newspaper and sets it back on the stand. I glance at the headline.

Who is 'Thunder?'

I quickly skim the article. It mentions the tornado, the robbery, and the fire. A few witnesses from the events were interviewed, but no one has a clue who is hidden under the mysterious black hood.

I smile slightly. It's kind of fun to be a town mystery. It does remind me, however, that I need to be careful. People are asking questions and if I accidentally let anything slip, it could lead them to the answers.