Chapter 17

That was definitely not my best rescue, I think as I sneak into my bedroom through the window. It's 100 degrees outside, I didn't drink enough water, I wasn't focused, or perhaps I'm a bit rusty after not using my powers for over two weeks. Whatever the reason, my powers weren't working their best today. All I know is that the crook had me by my arms. I tried to create a spark and free myself, but I wasn't fast enough. I was thrown to the ground and the criminal made his escape as I tried to get up, fighting the newly present pain from hitting the concrete and scraping my upper arm.

Safe in my room, I pull off my Thunder outfit and throw it in the closet to hide it. I examine the wound on my left arm. It is a huge, nasty scrape, but luckily, I think it has stopped bleeding for the most part. I slip into the bathroom to wash the dirt off in the sink and then return to my room. I find a shirt with sleeves that reach my elbows and wear it to hide the injury.

Ryan is coming over this afternoon for a movie night. I search my room for my cellphone to check the time. When I can't find it, I go over to the sleeping cat on the bed and wake her by lifting her up. "Lily, are you hiding my phone?" The cat responds by looking at me with her sleepy eyes. My cellphone lies on the bed right where Lily was laying. "I knew it. You took my phone."

Lily, ignoring my accusations, hops out of my arms and makes herself comfortable on the desk instead, curling up to fall back asleep.

I check the time. 4:47. Ryan is coming at 5:30, so I have time to get ready.

Going back into the bathroom and glancing in the mirror, I find that my hair is a mess from being stuffed inside a hood. I brush it out a little. There, that's better.

Leaving the bathroom, I go into the kitchen, finding my mom making a sandwich and Kenzie filling a water bottle. My sister comes my way.

"Kyleigh, do you want to go on a bike ride with me?" she asks.

"No, Kenzie, I already have plans."

"Aww!" She complains.

"I'll go with you tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay," she agrees with a smile. I remember when I used to ride my bike all the time. It was a simpler time, a time when a bicycle was my only mode of transportation. Then I was old enough to drive and now my bike doesn't get much use anymore. Personally, I'd prefer to fly everywhere now, but that isn't exactly allowed when you're trying to keep a secret identity.

"Do we have popcorn, Mom?" I ask, walking over to get myself a much needed drink of water.

"We should in the cupboard," she answers. "What time is Ryan going to be here?"

"Around 5:30," I reply. "Don't embarrass me while he is here."

"Isn't that a mother's job, though?" She asks, grinning.

"Mom, please?" I beg.

"Alright, fine," she says. My mother takes a bite out of her now ready-to-eat sandwich and walks downstairs.

I find the kernels in the cupboard by the refrigerator and pop some of them. Afterwards, I munch on the freshly popped snack while I wait for Ryan to show up.

At 5:27 my phone buzzes with a new text from Ryan.

On my way. See you in 30 seconds E(:

Shortly after, there is a knock on the front door. I run to answer it. "Hi, Ryan!" I greet.

"Hey!" He says, entering the house.

As we walk to the living room, I say, "I haven't picked out a movie yet, but there are several on the shelves next to the tv." I grab the bowl of popcorn from the kitchen and take it to the living room.