Boromir - I Will Always Be Here

Requested: Yes! Anon asked "Hello! I was wondering if I could get a scenario with Boromir? Reader gets startled by loud noises and will usually stick close to him if things get too loud. During a particularly bad thunderstorm they show up at his tent and quietly ask if they could stay with him because they're scared. Could be platonic or romantic, either way would be fine. Thank you!"

Warnings: astraphobia (fear of thunderstorms), mentions of anxiety and panic attacks, I'd say slightly OOC Boromir but we all know this is how they should've portrayed him in the movie

*requests are closed!*

This wasn't good. This wasn't good at all.

You tried to swallow the lump in your throat as you watched the dark clouds looming in the distance. Every now and then the lightning illuminated the depths below and shrouded everything in a mysterious glow for a few seconds.

You probably would've enjoyed the scene in front of you, if you weren't so terrified of thunderstorms. Of any loud noise really, you weren't picky. But the loud, unpredictable crack of thunder was the worst of them all.

Fortunately for you the storm was still far enough that you couldn't hear the thunder yet.

But scared or not, you couldn't seem to tear your eyes away from the clouds. Who knew, if you stared hard enough, the clouds might change direction or disappear into thin air.

The fellowship had sought shelter in a cave as soon as the night fell, making it too dangerous to continue on the path between the mountains. The long days started to take its toll on the little ones and you were glad a dry place to spend the night was found.

Gimli came out and joined you on the edge of the cliff. He let his arms rest on his axe and whistled. "By Durin's beard! That looks like a heavy storm comin'. Should be here in an hour or two."

He grabbed his axe in one hand and leaned over to you. "A good thing too, the rolling of the thunder might be what we need to drown out Legolas' snoring."

"I do not snore!" Legolas raised his voice from somewhere in the cave. The both of you looked behind you but he was nowhere to be seen.

"Like a warboar with a mighty cold," Gimli winked before he made his way back into the cave, and you chuckled. It was better not to argue with the Dwarf, even if you knew Legolas didn't sleep much in the first place. You rather enjoyed their bickering, it kept your mind off things and made you laugh more often than not.

Your eyes returned to the clouds. Two hours away, that would give you enough time to try and fall asleep. Maybe you were lucky enough to sleep right through it if you placed your bedroll all the way in the back, far away from the entrance of the cave. And close to Boromir.

The Gondorian had become the one you turned to for support and comfort, even though he wasn't always aware of it. Sometimes the only thing you needed was simply knowing he was there, his presence soothing enough on its own. Other times it was his outstretched hand during a particularly hard climb or a glance over his shoulder to see if you could still keep up. When the Crebain flew over a few days back, you were the first one he pulled to safety before he rushed over to the Hobbits. He liked to pretend he was a tough warrior but underneath the hard layers he truly cared.

As it turned out luck really wasn't on your side tonight.

Boromir was given first watch, which meant he would be sitting at the entrance of the cave for the first part of the night. The place you were trying to avoid at all costs.

The rest of the Fellowship was in good spirits, happy to be sitting in a dry and warm cave instead of in the cold and windy night outside. Aragorn deemed it unwise to start a fire, but not even the lack of a warm meal could ruin the cheerful moods of the Hobbits. A few weeks ago they were complaining on and off about not having enough meals or breaks and look how well they were doing now. Marvelous little beings indeed.