☁️ b i r t h d a y ☁️

"Hanako, when exactly is your birthday?"
Yashiro was cleaning the toilets as usual, after school. Hanako was hovering next to her, observing her to 'make sure she doesn't miss any spots'. Secretly, he just wanted to be next to her.

He froze, hovering in the air. Yashiro turned to face him. His expression was blank, making it hard for Yashiro to know exactly what he was thinking. She cocked her head to the side, waiting for an answer.

"Uhm- well..."

Yashiro started to panic internally. What if it was a sensitive topic for him? What if she had just brought up some hidden trauma? He was going to hate her!

"It's tomorrow, actually."

Yashiro calmed down. Thank god, it wasn't a touchy topic. She breathed a sigh of relief in her mind. Wait.

"TOMORROW?!"

Panic mode activated. Yashiro dropped the mop out of shock. Hanako stared at her like she was crazy.

"Your birthday is...tomorrow?!"
"Yep."

Yashiro immediately felt a pang of guilt. Hanako's birthday was tomorrow, and she never even knew, she never even thought to ask him when his birthday was. She mentally facepalmed.

But, she also felt sorry for Hanako. He was a ghost, of course, so he didn't exactly have friends to celebrate with.

"I- I see. Uhm, I just remembered something super important. See you tomorrow!"

Hanako couldn't even get a word in before Yashiro picked up her bag and ran out of the bathroom, the floor still only half cleaned.

'What's her deal?'  Hanako shook his head and sighed.

"Ahhhhh!" Yashiro squealed. She felt so bad. She threw her bag on the couch and smacked her head in annoyance.

"I almost missed his birthday..." she mumbled.

Then, she had a brilliant idea. She kicked off her shoes and tossed them at the front door. She scampered into the kitchen.

Yashiro swung open all of the cupboards and drawers, searching for ingredients.

She pulled out a bag of flour, sugar, baking soda, a couple of eggs (cracking one on the floor on the way) and a whole carton of milk. She stared determinedly at the ingredients in front of her.

Mission: Make Hanako a birthday cake.

By the end of Yashiro's hasty baking session, she was covered in flour, had butter on her socks and somehow had an egg in her hair. She sighed exasperatedly.

The bowl in front of her certainly had... a concoction in it. It was slightly lumpy, a little bit too runny, and for some reason, was slightly purple.

She poured the goop into a tin and popped it in the oven, silently praying the baking stage didn't go as horribly as the making stage. She wiped her brow with the back of her palm.

She suddenly remembered something important. You can't have a birthday cake without candles.

Mission: buy candles.

Yashiro tugged her shoes on and hastily made her way out of the door. The nearest shop was 10 minutes away, so she picked up her pace. And sprinted.

All she could think about on the way was Hanako. How old was he? He was probably the same age as Yashiro just- for longer.

She pushed open the door to the corner shop and looked for candles, breathing heavily after running for ages. She found some blue ones, and decided to pick those. She paid and left the shop.