Day 1 - All Ye Engineers!

AN: Day 1 - Reunion

It's finally here guys, sorry for the delay. The mod for the event decided to move the posting dates to November first to seventh in respect for Singto's ordination into monkhood. Thank you for waiting for these stories to be posted by the authors. 

--_--

Whispers broke out as I strode into the hall, which I ignored. After a couple of years being thrust into the spotlight, one would get used to the stares and judgmental looks thrown their way. I definitely learned how to ignore them. The hazer training back in college had been helpful, too, to build up my confidence and my acting skills.

I scanned the crowd for my friends and saw one person enthusiastically waving at me. Striding towards them with purpose, I weaved my way through the throng of people, who all turned to look at me. Going to this reunion after work was a bad move on my part. I should've remembered to take a change of clothes to the office with me. I could only blame my forgetfulness for this.

I was so preoccupied with maintaining my poker face that I didn't notice someone coming my way until I bumped into them. My arms shot out and held onto strong muscles to keep my balance, and his balance too.

"I'm so—"

"Sorry—"

Both of us spoke and stopped at the same time as our eyes met. Awkward silence enveloped us as we just stared at each other, having a moment in the middle of the crowd. Obnoxious clearing of throats spurred us back to the present. I was loath to let go of his arm but my friends and his friends were already surrounding us, looking suspiciously between us, annoyance beginning to form on their faces. I cleared my throat as I noticed that we were gaining a lot more attention than necessary.

"You—you look good," I told him lamely. Well, he always looked good in my eyes.

"U-uh yeah. You too, P'Arthit," he answered, his eyes travelling from my head to toe and back up. I saw him visibly gulp and I was dancing inwardly. Oh, yes. I still got it in me. Outside, I looked politely at him. Well, I also ogled the younger, having not seen him for quite some time. He—He looked really good.

"Oh dear lord, somebody kill me," I heard someone mutter, I think that was Prem?

"Uh—so we're gonna—just, uhm..." I stuttered, gesturing wildly with my hand to the general direction of our reserved table.

"Yes, dearest Nongs. We're gonna go to our own table while you go to yours. Which is a different table from ours," Tutah said snootily, grabbing my arm and dragging me away from the juniors. I turned my head for one last second and I could see how he was also dragged away by his own friends, indignation coloring his every move. As our eyes met, I could see longing in them. Oh dear, it was going to be a long night.

--_--

Third Person POV

"Did you see that?" a girl whispered to her friends as she put down her plate on the table. "They're broken up, right? It was so awkward, I tell you. They're so awkward to each other!"

"I... I couldn't believe it," answered another, almost near tears. "They're my model couple ever since they announced their relationship! What happened?!"

"Hmmm. Maybe they weren't meant for each other—"

"No! They're soulmates! I refuse to believe otherwise!"

"Get a grip, Malee. People break up. Maybe they had their differences and they couldn't work it out. Stop putting so much investment in their love story. It isn't yours to begin with."