Overcoming Your Fear

Ban was putting on his jacket and making some breakfast as Raphtalia was still sleeping. 'It's been days since I got in this new world, and I'm already the number one most hated man in it' he said. He chuckle and said "How ironic is that." He then heard some whimpering as he turn around and saw Raphtalia moving around in her sleep. "Huh?" he said as he look at her moving around. She suddenly screamed and Ban rush over to her. He grabbed her shoulders and began shacking her, telling her "Hey Raphtalia, wake up! It's just a nightmare!" She woke up and lunge towards Ban, calling out "Father!?"  

"Nope" he said as he flick her forehead. "It seems you had a nightmare. Anyway, it's time to get up" Ban told her as she look out the window. 

They were now shopping as Ban was looking at a piece of meat in his hand. "That should be about twenty pieces of sliver" the shop owner told him. "Oh" Ban said as he knew he didn't have any money on him. "Is there any good places around here to make some fast cash?" Ban asked the man. "There's ore in a mine around here that's worth a lot" the man told him. "Really?" Ban said as Raphtalia was looking at some balls the man was selling.

"Then why does this town look like a dump?" Ban asked. "There were so many monsters that came with the cave. It seems that they even called for heroes, but they did nothing" the man told him. Ban nodded his head as he look down and saw Raphtalia looking at the balls. He grabbed one and asked "How much is this?"

"Huh? I-"

"You wanted it, right? You were looking at it in town" Ban said as he paid for the ball. "But I" Raphtalia said as Ban toss her the ball. "You've been working hard, but you can't play until work is over" Ban told her as he began walking. He didn't even take a couple of steps into he heard Raphtalia's stomach grumble. "How are you already hungry, we just ate?" Ban asked her. "I'm sorry!" Raphtalia told him as she looked as if she was waiting for him to hit her.

Ban just stare at her and patted her head. "Hey, I'm not going to hurt you. It's fine, we'll start working after we eat" Ban told her. "Ok" Raphtalia told him as she thought he was really kind. 

Time Skip brought you by Ban and Raphtalia eating lunch together

 After eating they were at the entrance of the mine where Ban and Raphtalia were ready to go inside. They walk inside as Ban was saying "We need to find a good place to mine ore-" 

He realized Raphtalia was looking at something on the floor as he asked "What's wrong?"

"Hero, it's" Raphtalia said as Ban looked at the floor and saw paw prints. "Is it a dog? If not it could just be a monster that isn't too big" Ban said. "A dog" Raphtalia said in a scare tone. "Raphtalia" Ban called out her name. "Yes!?" she said as she turn to him. "If it looks dangerous, you stay behind me" Ban told her. "This way" he said as he walked inside the mine. "Ok" Rapthalia said as she followed Ban.

They went deeper into the mountain where they eventually found the ore. "Hey! Here it is!" he said as he swung his nunchuck at the piece of rock. After he did that Raphtalia looked to the side as she heard something in the distance. Ban picked up the piece of ore and said "We can sell this bastard for a ton of money!"

"All right Raphtalia, now we're heading over" Ban said as he then realize Raphtalia hadn't made any noises. "Raphtalia?" he said as she didn't respond. He turn around and said "What is it Raphtalia?" Standing not far from them was a two headed dog. "A dog monster!" Ban said as he took out his nunchucks. "It's bigger than I thought it was. Be careful Raphtalia" Ban told her. He turn to her and realize she was shacking. "Raphtalia?" he said as her eyes were filled with fear.

'I have to fight. That's my role here. My-'

Staring at the monster reminded her of the same beast that had attacked her village. Raphtalia screamed in fear as the dog started to run at them. Ban grabbed her and jump off the cliff where they landed in the water beneath them. The two of them got out of the water as Ban said "Hey what happen!? Why did you panic like that all of a sudden!?"

 They got to land where Raphtalia began to apologize to Ban. "I know I have to fight but my mind just went blank" Raphtalia told him. Ban sat there and asked "What happened?" Raphtalia looked at him and said "Huh?" 

"Is it the same thing that makes you cry in the night?" Ban asked. "C'mon, you can tell me." Raphtalia was quiet before she said "I am from a little town by the sea. A demi human town. The rest of the country isn't nice to demi humans, but everyone in my town was kind and lived in harmony. Until the day the wave came. There were monsters we'd never seen, in numbers we'd never seen. Before we even knew what was happening, the whole village was over run. Me and my parents were corner by a three headed dog monster to a cliff where they sacrifice themselves to save me. As I fell from that cliff, I watch my parents get devour by that monster."

Ban was quiet as he said "So that's what's been traumatizing you." Raphtalia was still shacking in fear with her head down as Ban said "Raphtalia, you-" 

They heard footsteps behind them as the dog monster was standing behind them. Raphtalia began to scream as Ban said "Calm down! That's not the monster that killed your parents!"

"But, but" Raphtalia said as Ban told her "C'mon!" He grabbed her arm and said "C'mon Raphtalia, you're going to kill that thing. If we fight together and get stronger together, we can beat back the wave when it comes. And other kids won't have to go through what you did. We can't save your parents, but we can save those kids!"

The monster launch at them as Ban shouted "Relax, I promise I will protect you!" Ban grabbed the monster by its necks as he was holding it down. "Now Raphtalia, kill it!" he shout at her. Raphtalia stood there shacking as she thought 'Why? Why? Why won't my legs move? I have to fight. I have to save the hero. If I don't do something then... Then... It will just be like last time!' One of the heads bit Ban's shoulder as Ban's blood splatter from the wound. Raphtalia was still frozen as Ban said "Fine Raphtalia, if you won't fight then run!"

Raphtalia jumped into the air and swung her sword into the monster. The monster roar in pain as Raphtalia took out the sword. When she tried to stab it again the sword snap into two. The monster turn to her and jump towards her. In a flash Ban had went and snatch Raphtalia as the monster was cut into pieces. Raphtalia went over and land the final blow by sticking what lefts of her sword into one of the monsters heads. The monster moved back before falling into the floor, dying from the final attack.

Ban chuckle and said "Hell yeah! That was awesome!" Raphtalia rush over to him and hugged him while crying as she said "Don't die hero. Please don't leave me alone." Ban rubbed her head and said "It's fine kiddo. I won't be dying any time soon, I promise. You did good Raphtalia."

"Can I? Can I ask your name? I just realized that I never knew it" Raphtalia asked him, shocking him. "Wow, I never realize that I have never told you my name" Ban as he stood up. "It's Ban. Just Ban" Ban told her. "Thank you for everything Mr. Ban" Raphtalia told him. "Sure" Ban told her. Her stomach began to grumble as Ban began laughing and said "Again?"

"I'm sorry!" Raphtalia told him embarrassedly. "C'mon, I'll go make up something to eat" Ban told her as they began walking out of the mine side by side.