chapter 8: what's this feeling?

y/n's POV:

Another week goes by as my fighting gets better and better, Arthur taught me close combat as well as fighting with a weapon. Even Merlin is impressed, which never happens. Its early in the morning when I'm woken by someone bursting into my room, its arthur.

"Y/N ITS IMPORTANT GET READY AND MEET ME OUTSIDE" he says frantically before closing the door.

"Jesus" I mumbled to myself, I was having a really nice dream. But nonetheless I got dressed, brushed my teeth and hair and went outside. I see Merlin and Arthur waiting for me outside.

"Took you long enough" Arthur says,

"Morning sleepy head" Merlin remarks,

"What's so important you had to wake me up so early?" I yawn

"Glad you asked, there's a thief going around stealing valuables and he's starting to get violent. We need to stop him, y/n since you've been doing so well with training I think you and merlin should go out and stop this guy" arthur explains in a more serious tone.

"Wait, are you sure I can do it?" I ask getting a bit nervous

"Yes y/n you're perfect for this trust me, unfortunately i'm busy with other things so Merlin gets to accompany you instead" arthur continues,

I look over at Merlin and he's just smirking.

"Guess you're stuck with me" he says snidely, wow he's a lot more cool about this then I thought, he'd normally put up at least a bit of a fight but I guess not.

"Alright go on then we don't have all day, Merlin will help you if you need anything." and with that Arthur walks off.

"Ready to go partener?" Merlin looks at me and asks,

"I guess so!" I respond

"This is ironic, you know, thief"

"Shut up Merlin" and off we go

*time skip*

On the way there I tried to ask Merlin a bit more about what to do but all he would say was "you'll know dont worry" like that was supposed to help. But eventually we get there.

We enter the town and we agree to split up and look for clues, then meet back in that town conter in 15 minutes. So off we go, I ask around and hear some stories but nothing that coils help me find where he could be. I also noticed no one really reacted to me being in the town, I guess they just forgot I was a wanted criminal?

Merlins POV:

After me and y/n split up I start to ask around which of course leads to me being surrounded by several girls. Normally I would love this but for some reason right now I dont and I have no clue why. I looked around for another few minutes and then suddenly stopped. In the distance by one of the shops was y/n flirting with some guy. She's giving direct eye contact and laughing a lot, I just stare. This is just like the first time we came here together, except... it feels different, wrong, why is she standing so close to him? It seems like they already know each other, do they? He's leaning in closer, he brushed y/n hair out of her face and-

I lose control of my body and I push past the crowd of girls, I'm losing control over my own thoughts. I can't even think straight. Without even saying anything I storm through the crowd. They protest but ignore them, all I see is y/n. As I get closer to y/n I grab her arm and pull her behind me, I stare at the guy angrily.

"Back off" I demand and he guy puts his arms up,

"My bad Merlin I didn't know" the guy leaves and I feel y/n snatch her arm away.

"What the hell was that?!" she yells at me

"You can just do that y/n" I say to her, she looks baffled

"One, dont ignore my question and two, what the hell are you even talking about??!" she continues to yell

"You can't just flirt with some random dude" I tell her angrily

"Excuse me? Why not, you flirt with so many girls all the time. Why is it such a big deal when someone is interested in me? Plus you're not the boss of me!"

"That's different!" I protest

"How is that different?!" she asks

"Because I-" I stop, wait, why is it different...no. that feeling from earlier, was it jealousy? Don't tell me. Is this what i think it is?

"The Hell?? Earth to merlin!" y/n starts waving her hand in front of my face and I snap back into reality.

"Im sorry I'm gonna go" I turn around and walk the other way ignoring y/n yelling my name from behind. This can't be happening, why is she so stubborn and obnoxious and annoying!! I need a minute to think.

I walk to the forest and sit on a rock. But I can't think, all I think about is y/n and that guy. Does she really like him? Why him? Why not me? Wait-

Before I can continue, minutes go by and y/n catches up to me and finds me.

"What the heck was that Merlin? What's going on with you?" she says panting. I can feel my heart beating faster and my face gets red.

"Merlin please just say something" y/n pleads.

"I'm sorry I think I'm just in a weird mood today" I laugh

"There's more isn't there? You know you can talk to me" y/n walks closer and puts her hand on my shoulder. Without thinking I push it off and start walking.

"Nope everything fine, now let's go find that thief!"

y/n POV:

I watch him walk away, why is he avoiding my questions. Why is he being like this? Why can't he just talk to me? I thought we were getting closer. Why does he always do this!?! I ran after him and just changed the subject.

"Got any info?" I ask Merlin,

"Yeah but not much, he robbed a house the other night so he might be in town." he responds

"Okay that's a good start '' I say and we walk into town, an eldery woman runs up to Merlin looking frantic.

"The thief! He just robbed me! Hurry he'll get away!'' She points to a guy running towards a stable full of horses.

"Thank you ma'am! You heard her, let's go!!" Merlin runs and I follow quickly behind.