05.

Autumn Kingsley

I stare at the blank canvas in front of me.

The paintbrush in my hand ambivalently hovers over the colourless tarp. I wait for my body to produce some sort of emotion.

A feeling.

Hesitantly, I dip the tip of the paintbrush in the myriad of pigments. I bring it back to the canvas, drowning out the white with each stroke of the brush; freedom taking over my hands as they attentively smear colour after colour onto the page.

Each caress of the brush acting as all the words I wish I could say.

I let myself drown in my own thoughts and words, relinquishing them onto the once monotonous tarp, now filled with multitudes of hues and complexions.

Art has always been my way of expressing myself, my thoughts, and all the words that remain trapped in the depths of my soul, waiting to be declared.

Although I knew I could never find the courage to do that.

After what felt like hours on end painting, I step back admiring the depiction of what looks like a frozen lake in a forest in front of me.

The lake.

Snapping me out of my thoughts, I hear my phone ring beside me.

I place the paintbrush in my hand down on the small, wooden table next to me along with all my other paints and pallet, before wiping my hands and grabbing onto my phone.

Unknown caller ID.

I furrow my eyebrows and swipe the button to the right, answering the call.

"Hello?" I ask confusedly.

"Autumn hey it's Brady," the voice says.

How does he have my number?

Sure we would see each other around school before I moved, and lately, we have become friends or whatever you call it when I came back.

"How did you get my number?"

"Grey gave it to me," he replies.

"Oh right, what's up? Why'd you call me?"

"Grey and I just wanted to tell you that your car's done and we're currently sitting on your couch in your living room," I hear him chuckle through the phone.

On my couch. In my living room.

I rush downstairs and make my way into the living room almost tripping over Nova's pink Cinderella slip-on shoes. Brady and Grey turn their heads to look at me and give a quick wave.

I sigh walking over to them and sit next to Brady who had Aurora snuggled up on his lap.

"I think she likes me," Brady nudges my shoulder gently. I roll my eyes, taking Aurora from his lap and placing her on mine, stroking her head softly.

She likes me, only me.

I turn to look at Grey who was too occupied by the tv, I chuckle.