27.

Autumn Kingsley

"Dad where's my car actually gone?"

My eyes follow his movements as he makes his way to the end of the counter with an empty, dirty bowl secured in his grip.

"Francesca's borrowed it." His reply was casual, almost as if that was completely normal.

I haven't spoken to my aunt, let alone her daughter, since I got shipped off to London.

Nudging my head forward slightly, I give him a puzzled look. "I'm sorry what?"

He begins to wash the dirty dish.

"Your aunt, Angela and grandmother is attending this Tuesday evening's dinner."

Disbelief was clearly visible in my face as I could almost feel as if my jaw was starting to hurt from the way my mouth was open.

"Dad," I slap my hands across my face and groan, "I haven't spoken to then in ages, its gonna be so awkward."

"The Millers will be there too, don't worry too much about it." As he walks past me, he gives my back a gentle rub before exiting the kitchen.

Like that's any better.

I'm snapped out of my trance by a sudden ping from my phone.

Staring at the notification that had just popped up, I groan and accidentally bang my forehead - a little too hard - onto the marbled counter my arms were rested on.

"Fuck." Quickly lifting my head up again, I rub the spot I just rammed onto the counter.

Agitated, I pick my phone up and open the notification that had just popped up on my screen.

Miller

Are you coming over or not?

in a bit
be patient

I've been waiting for an hour now
Hurry up

be
patient

I groan whilst sliding off the stool, still rubbing my forehead, as I made my way to the coat rack near the front door.

"Dad I'm heading to the Millers!"

Not too long after he responds, "alright take care, I want you back by 10, you've got school tomorrow!"

Giving him a quick response, I swing the door open preparing myself for the cold air outside.

I curse under my breath as the breeze blows gently against my face, instantly making my whole body shiver due to the bitterness of it.

I continuously blow on my hands, trying to retain the remaining heat of my body in them.

It takes me a few seconds before finally ending up face to face with the Millers' front door.

Hesitantly, I bring my hand up to knock but before I do so, the door already swings open.

Before a single word could leave my mouth, Atlas pulls me inside.

"Jeez, why are you in such a hurry?"

I remove my jacket before hanging it up on one of the empty pegs, that's when Atlas starts dragging me behind him again.