Chapter 1

"Go to your room brat! I better not see you for the rest of the day if you don't want to receive another punishment!" A woman with auburn hair yelled harshly at a young boy with shoulder lengthed black hair. His name was Ash Red Ketchum.

"Yes, mother." The small boy replied quietly. He then climbed up the stairs to his bedroom.

Making no sound, he pulled out a first aid kit which he had hidden under his bed and bandaged the wounds inflicted on him by his mother Delia.

Delia was once a loving mother and wife of Red Ketchum, an elite ranger and Ash's father. But when her husband died on a ranger mission, she was filled with grief. The grief turned into rage. The woman couldn't handle how Ash looked and acted so much like his father. So, she took her anger out on him.

When Ash finished patching himself up, he went to his closet and checked if he had all that he needed for tomorrow. Tomorrow will be the day when the eleven years old will receive his starter Pocket Monster or Pokemon for short. He will also be starting his journey that day.

The eleven years old needed to have at professor Samuel Oak's lab at 9 o'clock in the morning but Delia would never let go of her slave and punching bag. Therefore, Ash had to escape early in the morning.

He looked at the clock. '2 am, perfect.' he thought as Delia would be asleep at this hour.

The injured boy grabbed his camping bag with all his supplies, opened the window and jumped on his neighbour's roof without making a sound.

He headed towards the forest near the lab. When Ash reached it he sat on a thick branch that could hold his weight, not that he weighed much anyway, and allowed himself to rest while staying vigilant.

The next morning, at around 7 o'clock, judging by the sun, the pre-teen opened his eyes and headed towards the lab. He knew that the professor would let him in as he was a frequent visitor and honorary student of the professor.

He rang the doorbell and waited. After a while, you could hear shuffling behind the door: " Ash, good morning, my boy! Come in, come in!"

"Good morning, professor Oak." Ash replied quietly as he entered.

"We still have time before the others arrive. Before then, do you want to help an old man out?"

...

Time flew by while helping professor Oak. Ash had a blast helping him. Soon, it was time to receive their first Pokemon.

Ash found himself with three other people: Gary Oak, Damien and Leaf.

After explaining how the Pokedex worked, Samuel said: "Unfortunately, there was a lack of starter Pokemon. So, would anyone be kind enough to volunteer to receive another Pokemon instead?"

The room got silent as they glanced at each other, tension clear in the air. Until Ash reluctantly sighed and said: "I'll do it."

"Thank you, Ash, my boy! Now then you three, come and pick your Pokemon." He said pointing at the other three.

Gary chose Squirtle, Leaf chose Bulbasaur, 'ironic' Ash thought and Damien Charmander. The protagonist pitied Charmander. Damien was not a respectable trainer as he saw Pokemons as tools to be used for his own benefit.

The professor called out to Ash and asked him to come into the other room. He complied and the professor said: "I'll now bring your Pokemon. I was hoping that you'll volunteer as you always wanted this species." He took a Pokeball from a stand on a table and gave it to Ash. "Here you go! Come on, release it!"

The boy took the ball, took a deep breath and released the Pokemon inside. As the ball opened, a red beam appeared and brightened up the room. The light dimmed and revealed a Dratini. A. FRICKING. DRATINI.

Ash's eyes widened in shock and his mouth was agape. He quickly recomposed himself and asked in a shaky voice: "P-professor, are you sure you want to give me Dratini? She will evolve into a pseudo-legendary!"

"Ash, my boy, that is exactly the reason I want you to have it. You are the best person I can think of." Samuel assured him.

"What about Gary?"

"Gary wants to follow in my footsteps. So, he wouldn't have enough time to properly raise Dratini into its full potential."

"Alright, I'll take it." Ash accepted reluctantly as he knew that the professor wouldn't give up.

"I knew that you would see my way! Now, I have a few other gifts."

'More?!' Ash thought.

Samuel proceeded to give him a different-looking Pokedex and some gloves.

"This is a Nanodex. It is a prototype of a new type of Pokedex that have a cellphone's features. It has more information on Pokemon and it recognizes every Pokemon downloaded into its database. I know that you'll wouldn't want to leave a Pokemon behind so, I got permission for you to carry more Pokemon than the limit. It also has a pocket dimension where you can store them and other things-"

Before Ash can say a word, he hands Ash the Nanodex and the pair of gloves.

"-And these are from your father. For the reason that I do not know of, he said one day that they will come in handy."

Ash teared up but wouldn't let them fall. Delia said that Red hated him and didn't leave anything for him. He knew that it was probably lies but a part of him believed her.

The pre-teen shakily put on the gloves, they fit perfectly on his rather small hands.

They went back to the room where the rest were waiting. Professor Oak handed them 5 Pokeballs each and they set off to start their journey. Before leaving, however, Ash stopped, confusing Samuel. The boy ran to him wrapping his arms around his body, and hugging him. Blushing, Ash muttered "Thank you for all you've done for me." to his grandfather figure and left. The professor smiled and bid a farewell. 'Ash, you are finally free... Good luck.' He thought.