Chapter 2

As Ash left the lab, he was greeted by Gary Oak, one of the few people who found out about his abuse. Ash begged them to not report his mother as he still loved her. They gave in but helped as much as possible. He was also Samuel Oak's grandson and his best friend.

"Hello, Ashy-boy! I see you are claiming my grandfather for yourself."

"No, I'm not." Ash said quietly while trying to hide his blush.

"Well no matter, do you want to travel with me?" Gary asked.

"I would but I'm not climbing into that car."

"Don't worry, that was for show. I'm planning on travelling normally and not cheating."

"If that's the case, of course!" Ash jumped excitedly.

Ash isn't as emotionless as he seems. He has a sort of on-and-off switch that he can flip by will. With people he trusts, not including Delia, he switches off his emotional barrier. But the moment someone else comes in the room he switches it on.

Gary and Ash head off onto route 1. They walk in peaceful silence before Gary asks:

"By the way Ashy-boy, what Pokemon did you get?"

"Oh, I totally forgot to properly meet it! Thank you for reminding me."

Ash brings out Dratini's Pokeball and releases it. Gary's jaws dropped.

Ignoring Gary in favour of talking to his new friend, Ash bent down and smiled.

"Hello, Dratini my name is Ash Ketchum. I was assigned to be your new trainer. My dream is to make all of my Pokemon's dreams a reality, to make this tainted world a better place for both Pokemons and humans. If you don't want to have a trainer, I will release you into a safe environment." He said softly.

Dratini stared into his dark eyes full of warmth. Dratini somehow felt connected to the boy. It climbed around Ash's neck and nuzzled his cheek in acceptance.
Ash smiled pulled out his Nanodex and asked:

"Is it ok if I scan you?"

Dratini nodded. Ash used the Nanodex on it:

«Dratini, the dragon Pokemon. This Pokémon is full of life energy. It continually sheds its skin and grows steadily larger. This Dratini is a female with the hidden ability Marvel Scale. It is level 10 and knows the moves Leer, Wrap, Twister and Thunder Wave. This Pokemon also has the egg moves Aqua Jet, Extreme Speed and Dragon Breath Note: This Dratini is bigger than average.»

"You have extreme potential Dratini! Ash praised.

At that moment, Gary collected himself: "Wow, gramps gave you a Dratini?! Lucky!"

"That, today, I am." The raven-headed boy responded. "Dratini, do you want a nickname? I don't want to call my family by their species." He continued.

Dratini was touched by the fact that Ash called her family. She thought about it and nodded.

"Great! How about Anahita? It refers to the water goddess." He proposed.

Dra~ The newly named Dratini agreed contently.

Ash smiled at Anahita and the group continued on their merry way.

They reached the halfway mark by noon. So, they decided to take a break and eat lunch. Ash cooked since his food was tastier than Gary's.

As they were eating, Ash saw a majestic and colourful bird Pokemon flying in the sky but it disappeared into a rainbow. The confused pre-teen wondered what it was as he had never seen this type of Pokemon before. Suddenly a soft rainbow feather tickled his nose. He admired the beautiful feather for a while before asking his best friend if he knew what Pokemon it was and which Pokemon it belonged to. Ash may be smart but Gary had far wider Pokemon knowledge than him.

"Oh my Arceus! Where did you find this?!" Gary exclaimed in disbelief.

"I don't know. It just fell on my lap."

"Ashy, this is the feather of none other than the legendary Ho-Oh! You must be pure-hearted as it only shows itself to them."

Just as Ash was about to reply, a bunch of 'spear!'s could be heard. The group looks toward the sound. It was a flock of spearows!

Spearow attacks are dangerous, to say the least. They have caused a few deaths and even experienced trainers have fallen to them. It's a wonder that the minimum age hasn't risen but Ash supposes it's a good thing despite the current situation they're in.

They ran towards Viridian city as fast as they could. Getting pecked by the Spearows who were hot on their tails. The duo ran past a few trainers and Pokemons. They even accidentally ran a red-headed person over.

Approaching the city, the group of Spearows finally stopped their chase and went back to their territory.

Ash and Gary panted heavily, their muscles ached, not used to this exercise. Bruised and battered, they stumbled into the Pokemon center. The people present gasped and the head of the Pokemon center, nurse Joy ran over to them, worried. Gary barely muttered "Spearows attack" before adrenaline ran out on both of them. They collapsed as the world went black.