ep. 25 : stargazer

Happy Birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear (Y/n)
Happy birthday to you

She bends down, aligning her mouth with the candles and blows them out with the biggest smile on her face. Beth, Morty, and Summer all clap as they stand around the table opposite of me.

Summer told me that she had something exciting planned for tonight, so I figured it was a good time to wear the next dress and necklace she got me.

"Happy birthday (Y/n)!" Beth says.

"Hap-happy birthday!" Mortys adds.

Summer goes around the table and hugs the side of my body, squeezing me tightly.

"I love you," Summer whispers.

"I love you too," I reply in a small whisper leaning my head on hers.

Today was a good day. A really god day. Despite some things, I'd say this was my favorite birthday yet!

The scent of blown out birthday candles is also appreciated.

I take my eyes off the cake to see a certain someone leaning against the arch in the kitchen. But before I could do anything, he was gone.

God why does he have to be like this. It's weird if we're not hanging around each other. What if Morty starts asking me why Rick isn't here?

"Can you guys have a slice of cake before you head out?" Beth asks taking my focus away.

"Um..." I says turning my head to Summer.

"Yes! But, (Y/n) eat quickly,"

"Summer, I-"

"Shh! Eat!" She hands me a slice of cake and immediately begins to stuff her face.

-
10 minutes later

"I'm sorry that Rick couldn't be here to celebrate with us (Y/n)," Beth says as Summer and I stand at the door putting on our bags.

"Oh it's completely fine Beth. I understand,"

"Oh, we have to go," Summer says looking up from her phone. "Bye mom! Don't expect us to be home early!"

"I'm excited," I say holding her hand.

"Good. I'm really glad you're here (Y/n). I know your family life is shit but I want you to know that we are your family now okay. And we all care about you a lot. Even Rick does, I know it."

I give her a small smile. "Thanks Summer. I'm really glad I'm here too. I do want you to know I appreciate everything you've done. Getting to know you guys was...life changing. For the better."

We continue our walk side by side, interlocking arms, and making sure that no body was following us besides the moon.

-
I came to learn that our walk was long, but thankfully I had time to catch my breath.

Summer brought me to a baseball field? I don't know shit about baseball.

"What are we doing here?" I ask her sitting on the bleachers.