Chapter 7. The Master's Will

The turtles were excused from their training after Carrie retold her experience. They left frightened and disturbed. That story surely hadn't helped with their impression of her. 

     It was just Carrie and Master Splinter who was left. Carrie quickly wiped the tears from her cheeks and breathed deeply.

     "It's not uncommon for those truly entranced in their meditations to witness visions, of sorts." Master Splinter strokes his beard. "Have you experienced this before?"

     Carrie shakes her head. "I've never meditated before."

     Master Splinter closes his eyes and nods. "I have experienced many transitions into the spiritual plane of existence during my meditation. But never have I encountered such a realm, as the one you visited."

     "I don't understand," Carrie whispers. "This is too much."

     "The man you saw." Splinter narrows his eyes. "His name is Oroku Saki. He is Master Shredder of the Foot Clan."

     Carrie lowers her head.

     "My father slew Saki's father and destroyed the Foot Clan. Although my father tried to raise us as brothers, Saki only grew more relentless of the Hamato Clan and our family. His resentfulness of my family grew to hatred when Tang Shen chose me, over him."

     "Tang Shen?"

     Splinter smiles and nods. "My beautiful wife. Oroku Saki attacked me, burning our dojo in the process. Shen sacrificed her life to save mine when Saki attempted to strike me down. He left me for dead."

     "How did you escape?"

     Splinter shrugs. "I do not know. When Tang Shen fell into my arms and Saki fled, I had prepared for my life to end with hers. Burning wood planks fell on both of us. Everything went dark. I remember opening my eyes to the burning dojo. Without Tang Shen and without my daughter."

     "So.. does that mean the turtles were once human too?"

     "I had moved to New York City quickly after the incident. I bought four tiny turtles from the pet store to keep me company." Master Splinter strokes his beard. "Strange men bumped into me as I left the store. I followed, out of curiosity. When they noticed my presence in their exchange in an alleyway, they attacked. I fought back, but as I did I knocked a strange canister from their hands. It fell and broke on top of me. The green ooze it contained transformed me and the little turtles."

     "So they're not actually your sons?"

     "They are. They are my family. I raised them as my sons. I raised them as brothers."

     Carrie frowns. "I still don't understand... how all this is possible."

     "You will, in time. Now that the Master Shredder knows that you and your father traveled here, I fear you are in terrible danger."

     "But why? Why my dad?"

     "I do not know enough about what your father did to anger Saki back in Japan. Noah worked closely with Saki. Although, I do not know many of the details."

     Carrie sighs. "He's dead, isn't he?"

     "Saki needs your father. He would not have killed him. Noah is a brave man. He has been transported to Japan to aid Saki in finishing their work."

     "Their work?"

     "I'm not too familiar with what Noah was after. I only know that it became extremely dangerous. Once your father found out about Saki's true intentions with his breakthroughs, he fled. My sons will be able to determine what exactly the Shredder is planning."